Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was able to put .a windsor in my meteor without magor mods to shock towers.i did shave off the reinforceing hump on towers.i had to use hooker 6134s and modify headers.it was a magor pain of in and out about 10 times. and jacking engine up on both sides seperatly.3 weekends of pure hell.the windsor is about 2 inches taller and wider than 289-302s so all dimensions are off including floorpan clearance.also had to modify c4 dipstick tube by taking an inch out and reflairing end.i did this by taking a brake line flairing kit and use the cone end and slowly tap iy in with hammer and true it up with file and sandpaper.no leaks.i want to post pics but i cant fig out how on this site.my engine came out of a granada 1976 so its not a high comp engine.i plan to pull it back out after i have a little fun then 427 stroker kit and allum heads.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I host my pics on Photobucket and then link them to here. You just have to be careful of the sizes you save because they will take up space and cause speed problems.

I'm very interested in the install because I have a 79 351 going into my 63 Fairlane now and do not want to cut my hood or put a cowl on it. I want the stock look.

Good luck
Dave

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I may be missing something here, but how could a 351w be that much of a tighter fit then a 289/302? The only real difference is that the 351w block deck height is 1/2" more and the intake manifold subsequent a little wider. When I replaced the 302 in my '70 Mustang with a 351w I had very little issues with fitment. The headers come a little closer to the shock towers, but other wise plenty of room. I even run a pretty tall intake with a good size air cleaner with room to spare. I plan on installing a 427w stroker in my '64 Sport Coupe, so I am very interested in what you encountered. Pleas post photo's if you can.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I may be missing something here, but how could a 351w be that much of a tighter fit then a 289/302? The only real difference is that the 351w block deck height is 1/2" more and the intake manifold subsequent a little wider. When I replaced the 302 in my '70 Mustang with a 351w I had very little issues with fitment. The headers come a little closer to the shock towers, but other wise plenty of room. I even run a pretty tall intake with a good size air cleaner with room to spare. I plan on installing a 427w stroker in my '64 Sport Coupe, so I am very interested in what you encountered. Pleas post photo's if you can.
Your 70 Mustang came from the Factory with a Big Block option.

The 63 Meteor and your 64 Fairlane were not offered with a Big Block. Except for the 100 or so Thunderbolts, modified by Dearborn steel and tubing with a 427 BB shoved in them.

Even a 289 with the Hooker 6134's it's a tight fit and a chore to change spark plugs.

So, you will be shaving your shock towers to put your 351W in the 64.

Crites restoraitions sells a kit with a template for cutting, pieces to weld back in, pictures and instructions. Same mods that Dearborn did to the original Tbolts.

Or you could cut and test fit several times till your happy.

Jet

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Yes, after studying the shock towers a little closer I can see where room will have to be made for headers. No problem, I'll just carve out an area, maybe with the Crites kit, for them. Shouldn't be a biggy.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I used the tower notch kit from RRS, probably same as Crities kit, instructions are a bit vague from RRS.
Notching the towers will not only give you room for a 351, but allow you to choice from a whole new world of headers. Instead of the Hooker 6134;'s which are a nightmare if you ever want to change plugs, never mind installing them
I picked a set of Hedman long tubes, spec;d for a 70's up Maverick, if i recall, with a 302, they slip in with no drama & make plug changes a breeze!.
You can fit a 351 into the early F;lane without cutting the towers, but, then you can only use restrictive factory cast iron Ex. manifolds, if your towers haven;t moved over the yrs, i know my buddy tried them, but one side wouldn;t fit without a big hammer, so not much point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I host my pics on Photobucket and then link them to here. You just have to be careful of the sizes you save because they will take up space and cause speed problems.

I'm very interested in the install because I have a 79 351 going into my 63 Fairlane now and do not want to cut my hood or put a cowl on it. I want the stock look.

Good luck
Dave
hi dave you can see some photos on my face book,look me up pete celata

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, after studying the shock towers a little closer I can see where room will have to be made for headers. No problem, I'll just carve out an area, maybe with the Crites kit, for them. Shouldn't be a biggy.
the biggest prob is the shock towers at the rear lower section. the towers as they taper in as they go back.also both front cyl1 andcyl 5 headers need to and bend be cut to hug the block.i took a few inches out of both sides.also once headers were installed i had to put a large pipe in collecters and pull down a bit to give me clearance to floor pan.i will try to post photos again

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the headers Roger, I want to use something both efficient and astetic. I'm hoping I can find a Doug's Headers model that fill fit. With the 427w I will also want a 1 3/4 " primary rather than a 1 5/8" primary, so more room need there too. The Crites shock tower kit is cheap enough, no sense fooling around trying to engineer it myself. According to their web site, I will need one of their shock tower cross members as well. Looks like they just weld into the position of the stock bolt in member. Anything else I need to consider? How much under hood room did you end up with after the 351w install? I'm planning on a dual quad set up with the new Edlebrock Air Gap manifold and a vintage style ovel air cleaner. My aim is to keep the engine and engine bay looking period correct for a '60's Super Stocker.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The RRS notch kit comes with steel plates to fill in the gaps you create in the towers & a couple of small reinforcing plates, doesn;t really make sense until you tape the paper patterns to the towers & then you just trace out the cut lines. Looking at old slides of my 1st 62- 351 transplant & i did cut out the underhood bracing, just the back half of the X bracing center of hood, if i recall to clear the air cleaner where it hit the bracing. I could have used a lower A.cleaner & it would have cleared, it was that close. Running an AOD too, so the hookers needed quite a bit of massaging to clear the fat trans, but, it all worked out very well

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the headers Roger, I want to use something both efficient and astetic. I'm hoping I can find a Doug's Headers model that fill fit. With the 427w I will also want a 1 3/4 " primary rather than a 1 5/8" primary, so more room need there too. The Crites shock tower kit is cheap enough, no sense fooling around trying to engineer it myself. According to their web site, I will need one of their shock tower cross members as well. Looks like they just weld into the position of the stock bolt in member. Anything else I need to consider? How much under hood room did you end up with after the 351w install? I'm planning on a dual quad set up with the new Edlebrock Air Gap manifold and a vintage style ovel air cleaner. My aim is to keep the engine and engine bay looking period correct for a '60's Super Stocker.
I think you only need the Crites shock tower crossmember for the Big Block. To provide clearance for the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Thanks both of you. Your experience is helping me plan out my build. I'll check with Crites on the cross member, but it seems logical that you would not need it for the small block unless it is for header clearance.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
OK, so I called Crites and they told me that to fit a 351w in the engine bay of a '64 Faierlane it was only necessary to remove the center ribs (the humps 289 hipo mentioned) for header clearance and that an aftermarket cross member was not needed. They said this would work with their headers, but their headers are butt ugly, so have any of you experience clearance problems with other brands besides the shock tower humps? I will look at the Hooker modle 289 hipo listed as well as Doug Thorly's and Heddman's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, so I called Crites and they told me that to fit a 351w in the engine bay of a '64 Faierlane it was only necessary to remove the center ribs (the humps 289 hipo mentioned) for header clearance and that an aftermarket cross member was not needed. They said this would work with their headers, but their headers are butt ugly, so have any of you experience clearance problems with other brands besides the shock tower humps? I will look at the Hooker modle 289 hipo listed as well as Doug Thorly's and Heddman's.
the hooker headers made for the 289 will not work unless you modify them.i paid 600.00 for mine and had to cut them up.i cut out my humps on shock towers but it was not nesasary.how do i post pics?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the hooker headers made for the 289 will not work unless you modify them.i paid 600.00 for mine and had to cut them up.i cut out my humps on shock towers but it was not nesasary.how do i post pics?
i will try to get more picts now that i figured it out.i took me 3 weekends to get the headers in.i had to jack up each side of motor to get the squeezed in.it took about 13 times in and out and i was frusterated.i have very little clearance everywhere especialy next to steering box and idler arm.i had to tweek these things everywhere.they look great but are no perfect.i painted them oldschool white vht. im eventualy gona have them jet coated.all i can tell you is that is was worth the effort to get them installed.i will answer all questions!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Thanks Hipo. I'm now thinking I'll do the Crites shock tower modification and use headers designed for a '70 maverick. Everyone makes those and I'd guess they all are similar in their primary routing. At least the photo's I've looked at do. Hooker has a set that look just like the Hedmans Roger mentioned and they come in an old school looking satin black ceramic, which I favor. Want to keep it '60's looking as much as possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Hipo. I'm now thinking I'll do the Crites shock tower modification and use headers designed for a '70 maverick. Everyone makes those and I'd guess they all are similar in their primary routing. At least the photo's I've looked at do. Hooker has a set that look just like the Hedmans Roger mentioned and they come in an old school looking satin black ceramic, which I favor. Want to keep it '60's looking as much as possible.
good move,if i had to do this over again i would go for the crites shock tower kit.it will open a whole new world.good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts