Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would seem this would be an easy one to find but I've had no luck surfing the internet for a good answer.
Which side of this timing tab is used to check/set the timing on a 79 351W? It has no "TIME" mark on it. Is it the right edge and end of the tab or the left side with slight protrusion closer to the bolt?
I know how to set and adjust timing, just can't find an answer to my question in any book I have, nor searching the net. Thanks.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Actually the best way to check, because some aren't very accurate, is to get you a piston stop, (or make one with an old spark plug) that screws into the spark plug hole. Then gently rotate the engine BY HAND, until it stops. Mark the damper and rotate the other way until it stops. Half way between them is where the TDC mark should be. Timing chain slop will not be an issue doing it this way, since it's all done with the crank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the best way to check, because some aren't very accurate, is to get you a piston stop, (or make one with an old spark plug) that screws into the spark plug hole. Then gently rotate the engine BY HAND, until it stops. Mark the damper and rotate the other way until it stops. Half way between them is where the TDC mark should be. Timing chain slop will not be an issue doing it this way, since it's all done with the crank.
Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of all of those things, as well as other tips on setting timing.
I still would like to know the answer to my question. Which side of the timing mark tab is "supposed to be" the correct side?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Usually it's the long side. But considering bolt hole size and factory install, it could easily be off 2-4 degs. This is something I always do when building and engine, is dial in the timing marks while dialing in the cam.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Someone might but I wouldn't trust it without checking myself to be sure. I'm not a Windsor guy but there are a lot of tabs, timing covers and dampeners out there.

Pat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually it's the long side. But considering bolt hole size and factory install, it could easily be off 2-4 degs. This is something I always do when building and engine, is dial in the timing marks while dialing in the cam.
Thanks. I appreciate the answer to my question.
I'm probably at the other end of the spectrum from you as I don't rebuild engines at all, but I've worked on a hell of a lot of stuff all of my life (over 20 years as a heavy equipment field mechanic alone.) The engine is out of a customized 65 Mustang my son mistakenly bought, without any input or referral from me. It had a quart and a half of oil in the engine...but showed full on the dipstick. Very long story, but it came to me and my attention when it started to "knock." The engine is already fully assembled and I know I should have checked piston TDC against the damper while the heads were off. I had a little down time today while waiting on some parts for the C5 tranny and decided I would pull the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill to check oil pressure before it gets mated up and back in the car. Was just looking for info on this particular timing tab/pointer as most of them I see are designed differently and leave no doubt which side is "supposed to be" used.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i see you have your answer but what i did on my blower car you can also do and you only half to take the spark plug out, get a dial indicator with a set of rods with different lengths if you look around you can find them to rent if you don't want to buy one, and as stated above rotate the engine on compression stroke till the needle moves, mark the balancer with what ever you have as the timing pointer and it can be on the left or right doesn't mater, rotate the other way do the same now do your absolute best to find the halfway point on the two marks that will be close within 1 to 2 degrees of 0 now if you are using a adjustable pointer as i am just lock it down at 0, if you would like to use the stop method you will need to fabricate a spark plug stop get a old spark plug take the porcelain out of it find a small nut that will fit inside of the plug body and weld it in now you can use a piece of threaded rod to screw into the nut you welded in and that is your stop and you don't half to take your motor apart now you can go to summit and order from msd a timing tape kit and install the one for you size balance and you can use a engraver and redo your balancer because the tapes all ways fly's off i use the same method on my blower car its a 545 externally balanced but being a blower car I do not have a balancer I use my crank pulley,, good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts