Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is pure bench racing, but a neighbor of mine offered me a vintage blower cheap. Been sitting for years, he had it on a 400 mopar, then decided to shelf it about 15 years ago. Me knowing not much asside from the thing was massive, and cool looking, I was like probably not, I am not qualified to know what I would do with it.
What would a 6-71 do to a 1972 351c 4V CJ?
On my car, 4 speed, 1972 Torino. What sort of prep does a blower take for a street car.

Just curious.
Thanks

1992 Explorer
1999 Contour

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eliteman76 on 7/18/06 9:43pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eliteman76 on 7/18/06 10:42pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
With a mild 6psi boost, 30-40% gain in power from idle to redline. You'd need an intake for it, maybe a different distributor to clear the blower snout, and a nice big carb to plop on top of it (or two smaller carbs). As long as you don't crank the boost up too much, tuning shouldn't be TOO dangerous or difficult, but getting it dyno tuned to get the air/fuel around 12.5:1 would be the smart thing to do. Also you have to dial back your timing curve, I've heard it's something like 2 degrees retard for every psi of boost or something like that.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Other than that, you just open the hood and throw money in there until you run out. A blower intake from BDS for a 351C runs about $1000 or so. The blower rotors would need some teflon seals to do much good at street engine speeds. It may have those already and just need a retrofit.

You can also gut the cast, make a mount plate that goes under your carb, bolh the "blower" over the carb, put the snout and pulleys on it with a bug catcher. Use an AC clutch to start and stop the blower and they'll call you Mad Max.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts