Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys I am sick of doing half ass fixes and ending up with a glorified low compression kragen rebuit. my 4bbl closed chamber heads were rebuilt 5000 miles ago so I want to rebuild the short block. I want a bad ass 400 hp street motor. Can you give me ideas on what pistons and cam to get. I want a nice lopy bad ass sounding street motor. I need it to be reliable and streetable but not too streetable. Thanks

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Sounds great, remember back in the begining when the site had a what would you like us to build next voting box. Well they promised a cleveland build up then in the future. Must be a ton of guys still waiting for a hot 400 - 450 hp street cleveland. Can it be done with open chambers I wonder???
Vic

·
Registered
977 Posts
I hear you! I would like to see a 400 hp 351C build-up, too.
A while back, I read a build-up in a popular, usually Chevy-laden mag (HRM) for a 351C in a Montego. The motor had the stock flat-tops with 2V open chamber heads (8.8:1 CR). They ran a 214/224 deg, .510/.536 in cam, EDL Perf intake, and a Holley 600 carb. Not sure about the headers and ignition. Anyway, they claimed to get 341 hp and 382 ft-lbs torque. That's almost identical to the engine in my Fairlane. It is a typical Cleveland; so-so down low but really runs hard above 4000rpm.
If they got that kind of power, I would think that a 9.25:1 engine with a 224/234 cam, 750 carb, 1 3/4" headers and an Xcelerator intake should make a streetable 400hp mill.
Who knows? Maybe someone will do a build-up...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
What are the criteria for a "Street Motor"?

Getting 400 HP out of about any Cleveland shouldn't be a big problem ... But what else?

Does it need to run on pump Regular? Midgrade? or Premium fuel?

What RPM range should the power kick in at?

What gears do you plan to run in the back?

What one considers "Streetable" may be "Unbearable" to another

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 5/12/02 1:11am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 5/12/02 1:12am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 5/12/02 1:43am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
For me it would have to run on pump gas, so I would think 9.5 -10.0 on the comp as a max
Rear end gears upto say 3.5 ish
Power to start about 2500 - 3000 rpm and be able to run to 6500 maybe 6800.

Does this sound streetable, something to haul
3500 lb car required
Cam open to comments

Over to you guys, throw your bit in.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my car isn't my daily driver so I can deal with a little more engine. My gears in the back are I believe around 4.11 because I am taching 3400rpm at 70 mph. I run my car on 92 octane now so that is what I will run with the new motor. I want good low rpm torque and a nice lopy cam. Thanks

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Where are you from in Nor Cal? I have a 351 C that is probably making somewhere in the neighborhood of 420-450 HP. Streetable. MonsterMach does too....VERY similar builds, same car....Trans will be the same over summer time...

Jeff Given

·
Registered
596 Posts
On my new build-
351C 4V closed chamber, bored .030 over, Keith Black hyper. flat tops, RV cam is 282/292, Mallory Unilite vac. , MSD 6A, MSD blaster 2 coil, Edelebrock Performer, and Holley 750 vac., 1.75" headers, 2 chamber Flowmasters 2" pipes straight back.
behind that is a C6, and a 9" with 3.70 gears.

I took it to a dyno shop when it had the Accel Super stock coil and Edelebrock 600, they said it ran to lean and to go with the 750 Holley. At that time the dyno said "240 hp @ 5000 RPM and 270 lbs of torque straight thru the RPMS". They told me you loose about 30-40% at the back wheels. That would put me at about 330 hp at the flywheel. since then I put the Holley 750, Blaster 2 Coil, and the Flowmasters. I haven't taken it to the dyno shop yet, but I would guess I'm at about 350 hp.
At 5500 RPMs it red lines, I'll be going with the Weiand Stealth, the Blue Thunder, or Torker 2, either of those should get me 1000 more RPMs and a few more horses.

can some one with a desk top dyno tell me what kind of power band I'm in now, and what it will be with the new intake.

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in Rohnert Park california. About an hour north of san francisco on hwy 101. About an hour and a half from sacramento.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Slick mo fo,

unless that was a typo, that 2" exhuast is killing your power. It needs to be at least 2.5".

The rest of your combo sounds like you're trying to make a low rpm torque motor using high rpm heads.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ooops, 2.5" straight back. also the 351 has 9.5:1 CR

Thanks Kid

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
This is going well, come on guys keep it going. How much can simple additions like roller rockers produce, changing to a better distributor, windage tray etc. What can we achieve with the easy stuff?? before we get into 3 angle valve jobs custom headers etc etc

·
Registered
777 Posts
2 years ago, I was runniong a 2v headed cleveland in my drag car. It was a pretty mild motor, b ut it was running consistant mid 6.80's in the 1/8. It had aluminum bodies roller rockers and heavy 5/16" .085 wall pushrods on it. I decided one weekend to take them off and put my good Crower stainless rockers on it and switch the pushrods out to my good 3/8" .065 wall pushrods. The rockers were the same ratio os the ones I took off. The car was on alcohol, so it was very consistant and predictable. First pass the predictor said it should run a 6.84, well it went 6.78, thats equivilant to about a tenth in the qrtr. From that point on, the car ran faster than it had all year.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I swapped my cast iron 4V intake and motocraft 4500? at least thats what I think it was for a 750 vac sec holley and a BlueThunder dual plane. Felt much better but I have no idea what difference it made to the output. A little later The head came of a stock valve and you can guess the rest. the motor has been re-bored 30 over and I have bought a few bits etc but still considering the best way to put it back together.

Vic

·
Registered
596 Posts
as Vic had mentioned "let's keep this thing going". I'd love to get more out of my 351, but what should I do?
I know with a better intake I can get more RPMs, but which one? I'm leaning towards the Blue Thunder, but I've been told with the 351C and 4V quench heads and a larger cam, I'm going to have shitty low end torque and low vaccume. (there for go with Performer)

You saw my build stats above, what should I do to get more without starting over? and what would my hp be?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
My future plans for my 351c are as follows.

stock bottom end, balanced with arp hardware. approx 10.5:1 compression with aussie heads. Comp roller cam # 32-421-8 (as per the cam disk for desktop dyno)270 duration, .566 lift with a 110 lobe center. Havent decided on an intake yet, but Im leanin towards a stealth with a Holley 650. Not lookin to build some wild hotrod, but I think I'll have a strong street motor. What do you all think? any suggestions?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm in the process of building a new cleveland 2V. It will replace the 347 stroker in my 70 coupe. I'm thinking about a Xcellerator intake and maybe a 750 cfm holley. Also, I want to get the compression up to about 10:1. Scummit has a kit with forged pistons that says it does 10.22 with the 2v open chamber heads. It will be interesting to try that out and see what the little 2v's can do.

·
Registered
777 Posts
On 2002-05-12 19:27, 70grande wrote:
It will be interesting to try that out and see what the little 2v's can do.
In the right car they can run pretty good. I had a 10.4-1 compression motor in my racecar 2 yrs ago, with unported 2v heads, a weiand x-cellorator intake, and a decent solid cam, it ran 11.20's on gas, and 10.70's on alcohol.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had my Cleveland in the Model A before I put it in the Fairlane ( I needed a family car with a back seat). Talk about quick! The A weighed 2400 pounds with the 351C. The engine probably makes 320-330 hp. Even so, with the 3.55 gears it would fly on the highway. I am ready to build another Cleveland that will make 400+ hp.
Everyone please deliver the specs on your pump-gas, 400+ hp 351C, and the more the merrier. The Model A can hardly wait!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts