Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to build me a 351c sometime in the future, and am looking for advice. I want to get some good power, with no power adders. Things that are required are: 4v open chamber heads, performer intake (or something with same carb height) and will either have cj exhaust manifolds or sanderson shorty headers. My torino is about 3900 lbs or so, with a 4 speed and 3.55 gears. I also need to run on pump gas (91 octane here) What parts and all should I get to accomplish this, and about how much would it cost? I allready have heads, intake, and carb. I might be interested in a stroker, depending on money situation when I build it. What pistons/rods/cam should I get to make some good power?

·
Registered
38 Posts
it all depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend. the more power the more $$$$$$. get some compression in there. minimum 9.5:1. running an iron head you want to not go over board and have det.ping. a stroker might be the best way to go, you wont have to rev it so much and you can still make a ton of torque. and keep it drivable. remember the FLORD mustang ride, a little less daily driveable but a whole lot of fast. your camshaft could be in the 230's @ .050. there arent too mant manifold choices for you. if you start wanting to rev it over 6000 look at the weiand Xcelerator it might not be too much taller than the performer you have. the dimensions are in the catalogs. go to the speed shop and scope them out. plenty of stroker kits are around. just spend some dough and go. get as many inches in there as you can safley and make a bunch of torque and keep it FLORD

·
Registered
596 Posts
just had mine built with Kieth Black flat tops hypers, stock crank, my build gave me 9.5:1 which is good for pump gas. I have the performer, and don't like it, it only gives me 5,500 rpm. But I have a ton of space under my hood, I'll be changing real soon.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
11:1 with Quench heads and those same pistons. 91 Octane in California and no problems yet
Some people say that jump in CR is worth 20 HP or so...I do not know..

Jeff Given

·
Registered
596 Posts
Some people say that jump in CR is worth 20 HP or so...I do not know..

????? what do you mean "jump in CR"?

11:1 no problem? cool, my builder told me no more than 9.5:1 or it'll run like **** on our Calif. gas. I've heard this other places, hummm.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Slick ... Operative word there is "Quench Heads" ...

Don't try to take open chamber heads to 11:1 ...

Brian's open chamber heads won't tolerate that CR, 9.5 is about the limit ...

Only "Quench" will take the higher ratio.

Just trying to be sure there is no misunderstanding

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Yea what MonsterMach said
With Quench heads we can go 11:1 on the 91 we have in California. I have heard that the jump in Compression ratio (1.5 points) is worth like 20 HP. Not sure if that is true or not...but I am going good with flat tops and Quench heads with 91 Octane. I dont think I have Pinging...Larry, did you hear any when you went for a ride?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
71 Posts
tried clevelands with flattops and open chamber heads-- the detonation is worse than flattops with closed chambers --use the closed chambers with flattops with a close deck clearance and it will make better power and be less prone to detonate ---

·
Registered
596 Posts
I also have the quench heads, to get up to 11:1 what has to be done? mill the head? if so how much, will get you what?

·
Registered
50 Posts
jon-

Flat-tops with open chambers gave you pinging!? you are nuts.. Wow... every 1970 2V engine out there must be dying from detonation then...

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Mill the heads to 60cc. Not much milling to be done. 64cc to 60cc. With 2cc valve reliefs in the flat tops (I think 2cc)

Jeff Given

1 - 11 of 11 Posts