Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the smoke and stench coming out the exhaust, and using about 1/2 qt per tank.
Checked the plugs, all look great except #8. Lot's of burnt oil built up on it. #7 was so so (slight traces of brunt oil). Like I said all the others were a nice tan.
Compression is around 180 lbs on all cylinders.

I did over rev it one time coming on to the freeway from the shoulder. At redline it spit and coughed and blew a cloud of smoke right when I grabbed the shifter to shift, but then it took off like a bat outta hell.
I have a couple thoughts on what it might be and would love your in put.

I'm thinking it might be intake leak where it mates up to the head, or a leaking valve seal.

Reason I'm thinking intake is I'm using a Weiand Excelerator with port plates. The guys that made the plates (MPG) said not to use an intake gasket, just use RTV on both sides of the plate and put the intake on. It will act as a gasket.
So that has raised the question to it being the problem.
But it has been OK as far as I know, it was 3 years ago when I had the heads built and I put them on.

But then there's the valve seals, which would be a prime suspect. They are only 3 years old, maybe they went bad?

Now how do I go about checking what it might be?

I know when I pull the intake it might not be real clear if the problem was there. And I'd hate to pull the intake, re-seal it and have it still bruning oil.

Come on, give me some info.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
813 Posts
Try taking off the carb and see if you can see down the port that is suspect.
If it looks all oily, then its probably taking in oil at that port.
Pull of the valve covers and do a visual inspection of the valve stem seals.

·
Registered
777 Posts
On 2006-07-30 21:21, slick mo fo wrote:

Reason I'm thinking intake is I'm using a Weiand Excelerator with port plates. The guys that made the plates (MPG) said not to use an intake gasket...
There's your problem. Those plates are worthless. They are hard to keep sealed, and in my experiance, they do nothing for the low end torque of the motor.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took off carb and valve cover last night, can't see down #8 port and can't see valve seal from top without removing valve springs.

Guess I have to take off the intake no matter what, then I'll be able to check valve seal from underneith, and intake area for oil residue.

What I've heard about them plates is a 50/50 reply on the yes and no. I'm going to try it without the plates this go around.

I've been wanting to swap out the open plenum intake for a dual plane anyway. I do hit that WOT from time to time, but it's mainly a daily driver with allot of Oooomph.....

Anyone got a Blue Thunder intake laying around?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree that your problem is the MPG port plates. I ran them with my old Blue Thunder and I was constantly chasing vacuum leaks. Pulled the intake, pulled the plates out, put a gasket in place and bolted it back up. Idle was consistant and just seemed more crisp, but that could've been because the vacuum leak was gone.

As for oil burning, my Cleveland would always puff smoke out when I started it, hot, cold, sat for a week, didn't matter. So Mark, from MME, told me to use aluminum silicon on the head side of the gasket, and let it sit overnight. Then the next day, put a real light smear of silicon on the gasket and bolt the intake down. I haven't had it puff a bit of smoke since. But when I pulled my intake when it was leaking, the ports would actually have like an oil slime on them. Hope yours is something easy like that was.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I popped the intake off.
Looks like it was leaking between the intake and the head. Couldn't see anything in the port area of the head, it wasn't oily, nor did the valve stem look like oil might be entering from the seal.
That port plate was sealed real good to the head with blue RTV, but had an oily film covering the whole thing between the intake and plate. I used a non-hardening sealer as recomended by the manufacturer. So that **** might have squeezed out, or oil squeezed by.

Those port plates are going on the shelf (or e-bay) and the Weiand Excelerator is going up for sale too. I'm going to try the Edelbrock RPM Airgap.
Don't know if any of you saw what i wrote in another post, but the tech guy at Edelbrock said they only make it for the 2V, but it will bolt right up to the 4V heads and will run great with out port matching or altering the intakes ports.

Hit me back with any input, comments, experience, openions, or whatever you might have to say about the Airgap intake.
I'm going to order one tonight......

thanks for your responces

·
Registered
777 Posts
Although it wasnt with that particular intake, I tried a 2v intake on a 4v headed motor, and it was horrible. It didnt start real well, it idled poorly, and it ran like crap. Granted it was a race motor so upper end HP was of great concern, but it just ran poorly over the whole rpm range. I pulled it off and stuck a strip dominator on it, and the car picked up a bunch. I think the port mismatch is a huge issue regardless of what they say.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
if it was leaking between the intake and the head[causing it to use oil and smoke],it should be obvious with a buildup of oily carbon on the back of the intake valve-ask me how i know that one

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
On 2006-07-31 23:05, steharz wrote:
if it was leaking between the intake and the head[causing it to use oil and smoke],it should be obvious with a buildup of oily carbon on the back of the intake valve-ask me how i know that one
Yep, the oil definitely leaves a tell-tale sign on the stem just above the valve head.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2006-07-31 17:17, kid vishus wrote:
Although it wasnt with that particular intake, I tried a 2v intake on a 4v headed motor, and it was horrible. It didnt start real well, it idled poorly, and it ran like crap. Granted it was a race motor so upper end HP was of great concern, but it just ran poorly over the whole rpm range. I pulled it off and stuck a strip dominator on it, and the car picked up a bunch. I think the port mismatch is a huge issue regardless of what they say.
But that's was a low RPM 2v intake on a race motor. (1 extreme to the other).
The Airgap, although ports up to the 2v, it has a higher RPM range of 1,500 to 6,500 which is where my power band is.

I'm just thinking out loud, not questioning your input. I want to get the best intake for my aplication.

As far as the ports matching up between a 2v and 4v, are they off center from eachother, or just smaller?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, the oil definitely leaves a tell-tale sign on the stem just above the valve head.
Yea, the top of "all" the valves have build up. But only 1 plug had the build up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm 99% sure the port plates were the culprit.
But I'll check that too.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Actually it was an overpriced Aussie hi rise single plane intake. It was actually taller than my strip dominator. It was supposedly good for the rpm I was going to spin the motor and they also told me that the port mismatch wasnt that big of a deal. I think thats such a bunch of BS though. If you take a 1" pipe and push water thru it fast enough to make good flow, what happens to that flow if you abruptly switch to a 2" pipe? The flow goes all to hell, it gets all turbelent and slows down.

IMHO, I think they are trying to sell you an overpriced intake although they know it is wrong for your combination.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmmmm, maybe that Blue Thunder might be the way to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts