Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am just starting a restomod, with my 12 yo son, on a '65 Coupe. I am wanting to put a 351C stroked to 408 in it but I have a couple concerns.
*My biggest concern is what do I need to do to make it fit?**
I'm sure I will need to relocate motor mounts and I have heard shock towers, but I plan on using a Shelby style hood with a 1" scoop. Am I going to have any clearance issues with this if I run a Victor Jr or some other higher profile intake? Any other issues I need to think about?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey guys, I am just starting a restomod, with my 12 yo son, on a '65 Coupe. I am wanting to put a 351C stroked to 408 in it but I have a couple concerns.
*My biggest concern is what do I need to do to make it fit?**
I'm sure I will need to relocate motor mounts and I have heard shock towers, but I plan on using a Shelby style hood with a 1" scoop. Am I going to have any clearance issues with this if I run a Victor Jr or some other higher profile intake? Any other issues I need to think about?

Yes, a bit of a squeeze. Motor mounts on the 351c are the same as 289/302/351W. Headers:Ford Powertrain Applications

·
Registered
103 Posts
No hood clearance issues?
Depends on the intake you go with and air cleaner setup. I have a 351C 4v in my 67 coupe, holley strip dominator manifold and a 1 inch carb spacer. It all fits under the hood, just had to get a drop base air cleaner and run a 2.5 inch element. 289/302 motor have a 9 inch deck height and 351W is 9.5. The clevelands have a 9.2, so your not fighting height as much as the width because of the monster heads.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Better plan on cutting the towers on a 65-66.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me ask you guys this!
This car will be a daily driver for my 16 yo son so I am trying to make this a car that he will have a huge sense of pride in building but at the same time he needs to be able to do all the maintenance on it. I love the 351C, if this were my car I would do whatever is needed to fit it but it's not. I also have a 302 roller motor that would easily fit in there with no issues. What would you recommend?
Appreciate your advice!!
Jim

·
Registered
865 Posts
Better plan on cutting the towers on a 65-66.
It's tight for sure, but you don't need to cut the towers. Can even change the plugs....when the motor is cold. Hot swaps are impossible. Hardest part is getting the boots back on the plugs. 3/8 drive, plug socket, swivel connector and two long extension arm...never even bruise a knuckle.

Ford power train makes headers that fit and with a dual plan intake (xcelerator) and a drop base air cleaner it can all fit under a stock 65 hood (I always used a torque strap). Add a strip dommy and a 1 inch spacer...and then you need a scoop hood...like the 67 shelby style in a 65 size.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
If you want the kid to be able to work on it, and to actually enjoy working on it... install the 302. WAY fewer headaches in getting it installed, and MUCH easier to work on once it's installed in the vehicle.

Just be careful with the later 50oz-in balance, as it's different than the earlier 28. You'll need the proper harmonic dampner and flywheel. The dipstick is also in a different place. Most people use later model front engine drives and transmissions to keep away from most of the hassles.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's tight for sure, but you don't need to cut the towers. Can even change the plugs....when the motor is cold. Hot swaps are impossible. Hardest part is getting the boots back on the plugs. 3/8 drive, plug socket, swivel connector and two long extension arm...never even bruise a knuckle.

Ford power train makes headers that fit and with a dual plan intake (xcelerator) and a drop base air cleaner it can all fit under a stock 65 hood (I always used a torque strap). Add a strip dommy and a 1 inch spacer...and then you need a scoop hood...like the 67 shelby style in a 65 size.
Nick, you put a 351C in your '65! Any problems I should be concerned about? Do you need to do any modifications to the engine bay at all?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Huge aftermarket support on the 302 roller motor......much less hassle and it will scream! Gazzilion fox body racers can't be wrong......

·
Registered
865 Posts
Nick, you put a 351C in your '65! Any problems I should be concerned about? Do you need to do any modifications to the engine bay at all?
The only mod I did was bump a couple tubes on the headers to keep them from touching the shock tower. I put a little more information and pictures in your same question in another forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts