Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put on my new Blue Thunder and used a stock gassket set with that steel valley pan like they recommended. What a pain in the a$$ that pan is.
Well, it gave me what seems to be a small leak. Runs kinda ruff and back fires through the carb when I step on it.

They said to block off the heat riser port with some shim stock to keep that hot air from flowing into the intake. I'm guessing the .017" thick stock might have been a little to thick and my leak might be there.
So the intake is coming off again, some thinner shim stock is going in.
Should I put in another stock gasket set with that valley pan?
Silicone between all surfaces? Instructions said to silicone gasket to head, put on valley pan, silicone intake to that. Said nothing about sealer between gasket and pan.
I've read about putting a thin coating of grease between pan and intake.

For an Edelbrock Performer they recommend using the Fel-Pro 1228 gassket with that silicone ring. I have an extra set of those laying around.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
I would just use the gaskets on the heads.I glue the gaskets on the heads with contact glue so they can't shift,just slicone the ends on the block. I don't think the pans do that much anyway but i have heard of some guys cutting the sides from the pan and just using the pan to stop the oil splash.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-08-22 15:01, gregaust wrote:
i have heard of some guys cutting the sides from the pan and just using the pan to stop the oil splash.
I was thinking of doing the same thing with that pan. The things are like spring loaded when trying to putting them in place.
Would you use any sealer on the intake? or just bolt it right to the gasket?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You really need to check port alignment before bolting on a new intake.

The turkey pan works but it is a pain. The FelPros do a great job but without knowing the intake/head port relationship they may not work. Mr Gasket makes a thin (like the FelPro) and a thick 4V intake gasket set.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have approximately 300 (yes three hundred) NOS Cal Custom (actually made by Fel Pro) 4V 351 C intake gasket sets in case anyone needs some. I have been selling them on Ebay for about a year and a half and I have not made a dent. I also have tons of NOS gaskets for small block and big block Fords, FE Fords including Low,Medium and Hi Risers, 427 Cammers,392-426 Chrysler Hemi's, Nailhead Buick's and lots of other obscure V-8's of all makes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cupcake65 on 8/23/06 10:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Toss that turkey pan. I use .015 stainless shim stock to block the heat risers and regular Felpro gaskets to seal the intake. If you're really worried about leaks, use Permatex aircraft sealer on the heads to retain the gasket and nothing on the face. Verify alignment between the heads and intake first.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a real thin coat of silicon on the heads around the ports and rested intake into postion. Looks like a good fit judging from the silicon it left on the intake when I pulled it off.

As far as that pan goes, doesn't it help keep the intake from getting hot?

I'm kinda thinking out loud on this, but if I were to block off the heat ports at the head, would I benefit from leaving that top part off so hot air can escape from the intake?

·
Registered
777 Posts
"As far as that pan goes, doesn't it help keep the intake from getting hot? "

Radiant heat does more to heat the intake up than a little hot oil splashing on the bottom of the intake does. I stopped using the turkey pan gaskets years ago. They were way more hassle than they were worth.

·
Registered
664 Posts
On 2006-08-22 19:40, Cupcake65 wrote:
I have approximately 300 (yes three hundred) NOS Cal Custom (actually made by Fel Pro) 4V 351 C intake gasket sets in case anyone needs some. I have been selling them on Ebay for about a year and a half and I have not made a dent. I also have tons of NOS gaskets for small block and big block Fords, FE Fords including Low,Medium and Hi Risers, 427 Cammers,392-426 Chrysler Hemi's, Nailhead Buick's and lots of other obscure V-8's of all makes.
where did you get all those gaskets?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts