Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on some truck forums also, need to know before I buy. Does a 351C need to have a rear sump in order to fit into a 1964 F100?

I pulled a 292 Y block from it and it had a rear sump due to the solid axle location.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
If the original needed a rear sump due to location of the Axle, don't you imagine that the NEW engine would also need to have a rear sump?

I mean I am a bit confused by your confusion. I'm no expert sir/maam, but a V-8 and a V-8 are basically identical + - a couple inches in height and diameter and length, and the AXLE it's self is where it used to be, unless you move it for some unknown reason, therefore one should surmise that a rear sump on the 351 would be a necessity, would it not seem as such?

I haven't been under the hood of a 64-65 Effie in 25 years....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is my assumption, was looking for a little more technical response. I have been told both that it will and will not fit, so I am trying to verify it with someone who actually knows or has done this before on a 61 - 64. The justification for it fitting was the Cleveland engine sits much higher in the bay than the Y-block did, I do not know if that is true.

Rear sump pans and pick ups are expensive and hard to find used, unless you know what you are looking for, and I don't.

I don't want to buy the front sump Cleveland when I could have bought another engine that would fit without mods. I am open to any 302/351 automatic combo, just don't know enough personally which ones would fit into a stock front end.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I posted this on some truck forums also, need to know before I buy. Does a 351C need to have a rear sump in order to fit into a 1964 F100?

I pulled a 292 Y block from it and it had a rear sump due to the solid axle location.
I have a 1964 F500 powered by a 351W. I replaced the 292 with a front sump 351 Windsor, the pan cleared the axle in my case.

Years ago I swapped a 351W into a 1956 F100, it also cleared the front axle but was close, maybe 0'-3" of clearance.

I used a cross member cut from a 63 Galaxie frame to build the side mounts.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts