Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have no power steering on my torino, removed it to fit headers. The water pump is tensioned by the power steering pump, and the altenator has its own belt. What do I need to do to swap things around so I can get rid of the power steering pump? New water pump pulley?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Look for a cleve car that had no options, like my old Mustang coupe. It'll have a single groove pully system that connects the crank, water pump and alternator.

If you cant find that, use a double groove pully on your alternator, and space it out so that it will match the groove for the PS pump, and run it that way. This is what I did on the 460 in my Stang.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2006-05-16 11:44, machtang wrote:
why would you leave the power steering off? i had a 351c with headers and power steering...
Nobody makes ones that fit with 351c, power steer, manual tranny in a 71 torino.

The junkyard sounds good, I already have a tiny crank pulley, I think its the March underdrive pulley.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took the power steering off my car.I used a water pump pulley from a Maverick at the wreckers that had a 302 and manual steering and it fit my Cleveland fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts