Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my 351C rebuilt. I have a rattle that occurs at 2500 rpm. Give it more pedal and it goes away. Back off the pedal and it comes right back. I thought that it might be valves, so I had the machine shop redo the heads. I also changed rocker fulcrums-no help. Before I assembled the shortblock, all clearances looked good. Before the rebuild, the engine had no rattles. I reused the cam, lifters (in same order), and roller timing chain-all parts with low miles. I also installed an Accel distributor.
I have changed exhaust, manifolds and torque converter to no avail. Thinking that it was pinging, I changed the timing and used higher octane, but it didn't help. I did notice that the rattle is less when you close the choke halfway. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing on my cleveland. I disconnected the vacuum advance and my problems were over. I fought it for a long time and even looked inside the motor. couldnt believe it was that simple. Hope that your problem is that simple.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[No message]

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll try it in the morning!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same prob too but mine was a little more than that. thought that it was bad lifters, replaced them didnt help. I checked the pushrods all bent slightly. had to roll them on a flat surface to see. put another set in same day bent the other set I changed the cam and lifters too. Put screw in studs and guide plates 3/8 hardend pushrods, that helped. for awhile. got mad and put a mechanical cam in it. then found out the oil pump was weak and thats y the lifters were bleeding off. want to put the hyd back in but not for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
This may or may not help,but i had a 460 that had a mysterious noise on acceleration and it ended up being the starter gear just touching the ring gear..If all else fails,it might be worth a look...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the timing (too much advance). I adjusted the vacuum advance to 0 degrees, so now you barely hear the pinging. I'm planning on changing the mech advance springs to heavier units, then I will add the vacuum advance back.
A few days ago, I entered a post on total timing. Shep927 suggested 34-36 deg total at 2800-3000 rpm. Any additional comments? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts