Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy some Scorpion rockers, Pedestal style for our 70 351C 2v. Im wondering if I would need guideplates for them or the crane ( or comp? I can recall as this momment) roller conversion kit to install them? If so I would get the non-pedestal style. We should be under .500 lift on our cam.

Thanks all in advance!

·
Registered
712 Posts
You can get the non pedestal mount if you get the conversion kit. That way if you ever pull the head to have it machined for screw in studs, you won't have to buy new rockers. The bad thing is, you will still have the old 5/16" bolts either way, but that should be okay for a street engine.
I'd say if you are using it for strip use, pull the heads and have 'em machined for guideplates and screw in studs, just my opinion.
Chris

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
1800 passes on a set of Crane conversion studs with Energizer rockers. Spring pressure is 100 closed, 280 over the nose. .536 lift on the cam. No problems so far. The Energizers are really the wrong rocker for a 351C, so be sure and get real 351C rockers.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bringing this back from the dead...

We ended up buying a new set (as in, new in the package never used) of Harland Sharps from my good friend the other day. Scummit lists them for $235ish. $150 here baby! I am going to order the crane conversion kit here in the next few days. While Im doing it, I figure it would be a good time to get the dial indicator out and see what kind of lift our cams has. We do not know.

I have a spare set of heads that will get some home grown port work hopefully this summer. Just a little bit mainly aound the bowl and smoothing of the runners,Bronze guides with a gasket match (might / probably will do the intake later on). Finished up with a 3 angle and a back cut and voila.

Thanks Chris. As always!

Wish us luck!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2007-02-20 17:08, psivory wrote:
bout time you did something, slacker......
We did get one of our front seats mounted up last weekend. I have been laying low.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Check all the HS rockers before you install. I'm replacing the Cranes with a set of HS because the Cranes are quite worn. The first HS out of the package had an issue with the poly lock - the bore in the rocker trunion was too small for the lock to seat into. I didn't get to check them all yet, but I'll be calling Summit to get at least one replacement. Good thing I've got two sets here. I would say this is NOT typical of the HS rocker, but the tolerances are close so it doesn't take much. They fit on the heads with the conversion kit real nice. Have not checked geometry, but we should be OK.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2007-02-21 07:45, ckelly wrote:
Check all the HS rockers before you install. I'm replacing the Cranes with a set of HS because the Cranes are quite worn. The first HS out of the package had an issue with the poly lock - the bore in the rocker trunion was too small for the lock to seat into. I didn't get to check them all yet, but I'll be calling Summit to get at least one replacement. Good thing I've got two sets here. I would say this is NOT typical of the HS rocker, but the tolerances are close so it doesn't take much. They fit on the heads with the conversion kit real nice. Have not checked geometry, but we should be OK.

Will do!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Kelly, why are the Energizers the wrong rocker for the cleve ? Im just about to put the heads together for the 351c im building and ive got crane energizers, I have the big screw in studs if it makes a difference- i dont wanna make a mistake now-

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2007-02-21 18:48, gchero351 wrote:
Anybody know ?
My guess would be that maybe they are BBC rockers.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
So what problems will I encounter ? a different ratio ? will they effectively give me more or less cam, or wearout quicker ? crane sure sold them as cleveland-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts