Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - the fun topic of a cam lobe/s being wiped out! Just installed a cam in a 351c with only 4000 miles on a fresh rebuild. Took out #2 intake lobe and lifter. Of course I followed all the directions, but anyway. Do you suggest I tear the engine completely down, hot tank, reassemble... or clean the pan up the best I can or slap another cam and lifter set in? The car is not a daily driver and will only see about 5000 miles a year. Engine only ran about 40 minutes with the f'd up cam. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Had this happen on my 351C once. I just replaced the cam/lifters, changed the oil, and slapped it together. Changed the oil again a few hundred miles later, no metal, and it's been runnung for several years now!

Good luck,

Greg P

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Sucks to be us huh?
I'm going to just flush the pan then put a couple of magnets on the inside, away from the oil sump. My oil pressure was still +20psi hot so I don't think it's worth a tear down yet.
What was your pressure right before you shut her down? You might peek in there and see what your cam bearing now look like. The same oil that lubricates them lubes the crank. So, if you cam bearing look ok, logic would say the crank and rod bearings are probably ok too.
God's speed my friend. I'm still waiting on Comp to see if they give me a new cam......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil pressure was fine. Think I will clean up the pan, use a magnetic plug, and a magnetic strap on the filter. Any other thoughts out there? Thanks for the info gang.
73 Convert aka Bigred.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Say roller all you want to, but us po' folk are resigned to hydraulic flat tappet methods. I know, I know, I've doubled my cost already by doing the job twice whereas a roller cam would still be "rolling". Bah!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have gone with a roller, but I usally don't plan for complete failure and the $$ for the conversion was a bit too much.

Oh the joy of Canted Valves..

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Not that I like the idea of guys having problems like this but I have to chuckle to myself. I lived through exactly the thoughts and experience you are discussing here.

I had wanted a roller to begin with and let an engine builder talk me out of it

"The Builder" reasoned all the same things ... Cost ... Flat tappet (will do just fine) ... Not building a full out race motor ... etc ... etc.

Anyway, I put $2,700.00 into that build doing it "his way" and it went through two flat tappet cams and a set of Comp Cam Magnum roller "TIP" rockers (I let him talk me out of true Roller Rockers as well)

In the final analisis after two years of chasing this piece of $hit build around my garage ... I labled it a total $2,700.00 loss and built the next one 100% myself, with some internet buddies I met. I refused to let anyone talk me out of anything ... I just researched things until I could comfirm in my own mind what was the "Right" thing to do.

Estimates on this engine are 537 HP @ 6,500 and 479 Ft Lb @ 5,000 RPM ... It has given me zero $hit in the year and a half since completion ... runs strong and smooth ... and is a ton of fun (primarily because I don't have to be "pissing" around with it all the time ... it just runs) And as a side note ... It was the very first engine I ever built.

Moral to the story is ... I made a concious decision way back then that, "I will never build a motor that isn't Full Roller."

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/16/02 7:10am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/16/02 7:13am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts