Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I hear that the 400 is a 351M with a different crank, and I think that the 351M has taller pistons than the 351C (or the 400?). I'm hoping to change a 351M to a 400 in a rebuild. I know I need a crank. Are the rods the same on the 351C, M, or 400? I have a 351C set of rods and pistons avail, but am not sure if they are interchangeable. My guess is no. I'm sure that I can measure all this stuff and figure it out, but some of the parts involved are in running engines, etc, and it's easier to just ask...

·
Registered
184 Posts
nice try, but it would be
better for you to buy new
rods and pistons along with the
crank..
rods will not fit the 400 crank
and the 400 pistons are taller.
why are you thinking of building a 400? Try this site
out... look at the tech page
www.projectbronco.com
Best
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the site info. I'm building a 351/400 because that's what it has, and I'm not a glutton for punishment (although you would think that I am developing an appetite for it). I have a new 351c that is avail for parts, but I won't disassemble it if only 10% of the parts are usable, and will sell it as is. Confusing?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
351M and 400 rods are the same. Just swap out the cranks and use 400 pistons which are the same pin height as the 351C.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that would be not too bad to just find a crank and order new pistons (and get a harmonic damper, as I hear). Hope to do it.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
You could swap a 400 crank into your 351, the connecting rods are the same.You will need 400 pistons however due to the different compression hieght.The cleveland pistons have the same compression hieght as the 400 but the piston pin is bigger on the 400.Since you have to use the 351-400M connecting rods to get the proper length you would have to have the small end of the connecting rod bushed down from .975 to.912.I don't think I would tear apart you're cleveland just for the pistons and then still need a bunch of machine work.Its probably cheaper to buy 400 pistons and sell the cleveland although there are lots of parts such as the heads etc off of the cleveland you could use as well .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 1/18/02 2:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. If you know of anyone that needs a Very nice 351c, send them my way. I have an ad out, and I guess that I need to reduce the price since no one is beating down my doors to buy it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts