Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here a friend told me about this site and so here I am. My question is this, "will a 351m fit a 64' Galaxie?" I have a 351m engine/trannycombo out of a 1974 cougar that I would love to fit into a 1964 Galaxie? The reason I want to attepmt the swap is that I've had this Galaxie garaged in my back yard (a beautifull car), but I came across it minus the engine and tranny. I had until it was recently unrepairably rear ended a beautifully excellent running 74' Cougar with only 48,000 original miles on it, and though it wasn't the fastest of cars it ran and still runs so so smooth, it shifts great, doesnt burn any oil, starts right up, I mean it's just too good to not ask you guys if it will work. If it is at all possible what motor mounts should I look for? Will the alternator work as I believe the galaxie had a generator??? I guess before I get ahead of myself, I just want to see if it can be done without major difficulties? Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi and welcome, I had planed on the same swap, but my 351 was no good. Any ways do a search type in 351, swap, you'll get lots of info . Good luck!!! and once again welcome

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sleepysal on 9/15/06 2:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
228 Posts
Engine mounts for the -M are different than other SBFs; may have to engineer your own or modify some existing parts. Not impossible, just a little time consuming. You'll need good fabrication and welding skills to handle it. Headers, etc, may be more problematic to solve.

Good luck!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think around 70-71 the 351m came factory in ranchero's. Just try and find a parts car ranchero that had a 351m in it and pull the mounts. I see old rancheros around here all the time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just my opinion, unless you are willing to put a lot of time, money and engineering in, I would find someone who would either buy your 351 combo or trade a good 390 combo that will set right in there. I just spent around 8 months of sweat and blood and money to put a 460 and C-6 into my 64 Galaxie and got lots of great help from these friends on this forum. I am happy now that it is together and have no regrets, but knowing what I know now I would have gone for a 390 or 406 and had a lot less headaches. It all depends on what you really are looking to do with your Galaxie. Good luck on which ever way you decide to go and welcome to this great forum,
Bill Bailey

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I have a 351 Cleveland in my '64 that was a bolt in because the Clevo uses the same motor mounts as the 289 that came in the car. I would say that you will need the right motor mount, but I see no reason why it would not fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
F15Falcon, my buddy has a 63 Gal with a 351C. But the guy he bought it from hacked some homemade mounts into it. Will the 289 mounts work for him. If not, any ides where he can get some or what might work. Any help would be great. I've been trying to convince him to swap over to an FE, but he's detirmed to make this engine work. Anyway, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
289 mounts as said above will work for a 351c,but not a 351/400m

·
Registered
228 Posts
Aren't the -M mounts same as 429-460?

Bellhousing is the same...can't believe Ford wouldn't use a common mount with one of the other engine families, and we know it's not the SBF.

Good luck!

·
Registered
279 Posts
don't they have an M motor mount for a truck that has a stud, instead of the saddle type mounts they used in the cars? if so, it should pretty much drop in......

·
Registered
279 Posts
i was right, went to advance's website and plugged a 77 f150, and sure nuff, there they were, 12 bucks a piece. helluva good deal for a "conversion" kit.....just my .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 64 galaxie with a factory 390 4v siting in it right now I'm parting out.I live in Dayton,Tx 77535 zip.your welcome to make me an offer if you have the resources to come get it.shipping is outragous these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts