Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past month has been a wonderful roller coaster. I am 20 years old and you can call me Austin. I have heard my dad talk about how back in 1984 he had a 79' F100 with a 460 that was a muscle truck type of deal. as I grew up I began looking and I drove by this lot for a few months and saw this 1979 F100, but it wasn't for sale. I drove by one afternoon and saw a for sale sign, and my dad and I went and took a look. Here I am now with my 1979 F100, but the 351m engine is blown. I found a replacement 351m for 75$, and wondered about getting more cubic inches. I know the 351m and 400 are very similar, but I was curious can I swap the crank to a 400 and get different Tmeyer Inc. pistons? Nobody ever says "yes" or "no" just a lengthy response that gives very helpful information. Just looking for something definitive so I can have a nice compression and decent performance truck. It is also my first engine rebuild, but my dad has rebuilt numerous engines.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
(I am new to the forum so bear with me).

·
Subscriber
848 Posts
welcome aboard-

i found this on another website:
"Other than pistons and crankshaft the 351M shared all of its major components with the 400, and it also used the large 385 Series style bellhousing."

anytime you can find a running motor for $75...buy it. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I went thru my 351m in my 79 Ranchero a few years ago. Had it bored 0.030 over and installed a 400 crankshaft. Had everything balanced. One thing I suggest you do when assembling it is to replace the stock/factory timing chain & gear and replace it with one you can advance the cam timing a couple degrees. From the factory they came with the cam timing retarded a few degrees to meet emissions. Does them a world of good. If your looking to increase hp I have a Weiand 4 barrel intake manifold for it I could sell you. Good luck. Nice looking truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome aboard-

i found this on another website:
"Other than pistons and crankshaft the 351M shared all of its major components with the 400, and it also used the large 385 Series style bellhousing."

anytime you can find a running motor for $75...buy it. :)
It isn’t running but with all I’m planning to do to it, I don’t think it will be too big of an issue. Gotta take it to a machine shop and get some work done to it. Basically a rebuild. I just don’t want to get a 400 crank and then 400 pistons from tmeyer inc and then not work. You know?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah I
I went thru my 351m in my 79 Ranchero a few years ago. Had it bored 0.030 over and installed a 400 crankshaft. Had everything balanced. One thing I suggest you do when assembling it is to replace the stock/factory timing chain & gear and replace it with one you can advance the cam timing a couple degrees. From the factory they came with the cam timing retarded a few degrees to meet emissions. Does them a world of good. If your looking to increase hp I have a Weiand 4 barrel intake manifold for it I could sell you. Good luck. Nice looking truck.
I have plans on doing a mild cam and getting it as close to 400 hp as I can

·
Registered
917 Posts
This is a good setup. 351M and 400 only diff for the cubic inches is crank and pistons. (Just as in the 429/460s) Same rods and everything else is same. Crank and pistons are the only difference for the cubic inches.
If you want HP/TQ, timing chain straight up and better cam, (about 10% more then you have now). Intake and 650 -700 DP Holley carb, (Edelbrock carbs cost HP/TQ). The Ford electronic ignition for you is prefect. The heads are where the real HP/TQ is. Yours will work for you with a little help in the exhaust dept. bigger exh valves and have the exhaust side only ported a little to clean up any restrictions. Good following dual 2 1/2" exhaust (headers if you can find them) and make sure you have a 3/8" fuel line with a higher volumn fuel pump.
The flywheel or flexplate, you never said what trans you have, are the same for both engines. Just make sure if you replace it, you get the same tooth count and size and balancing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told it is impossible to cheaply get 400 horsepower out of this engine. I would have to get different heads wouldn't I? I planned on obviously a cam swap and better carb and intake for sure. Also, my dad and I cannot figure out what rims these are. Obviously not factory, but what did they come off of?

·
Subscriber
848 Posts
i wasn't going to say anything because i don't like raining on people's parades, but yeah - 400 is a very big number.

·
Subscriber
848 Posts
but don't let that slow you down. 400hp in an truck...no weight on the rear end. all you'd do is spin the tires off anyway. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but don't let that slow you down. 400hp in an truck...no weight on the rear end. all you'd do is spin the tires off anyway. :)
I'd rather you rain on my parade than let me get false hopes lol. I just want something that feels like a muscle truck, you know? I also don't think I would feel that big of a difference between 300 and 400 hp. If I take the engine apart and its in rough shape then I might just have to get a 302 or 351W. The only reason I've been reluctant to get anything besides a 351m, 400, or 460 is because I have a C6. The Windsor engines could get 400 hp pretty easily, and the parts are more readily available. If we ever stop getting rain around here Ill take it apart and get some answers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd rather you rain on my parade than let me get false hopes lol. I just want something that feels like a muscle truck, you know? I also don't think I would feel that big of a difference between 300 and 400 hp. If I take the engine apart and its in rough shape then I might just have to get a 302 or 351W. The only reason I've been reluctant to get anything besides a 351m, 400, or 460 is because I have a C6. The Windsor engines could get 400 hp pretty easily, and the parts are more readily available. If we ever stop getting rain around here Ill take it apart and get some answers.
Also I am a full time college student, working a almost full time job, and already paying on a new car. I would have this truck as more of a weekends truck. I cannot afford to drop these big 5000-6000$ on engines like some people lol. Maybe one day but not now.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Speed Pro#L-2482F 20 over flattops that will get you around 9.5-9.8 depending on a few things. This will help get your HP/TQ up and you have to get new ones anyway. You have a auto trans, C-4 or C-6? It will not bolt up to any of the other SBF engines, including the 351W/C.
The 351M/400 were slugs on their best days. But only because they never were a HiPo engine from day one. That doesn't mean that can't be made to produce. The increase in cubic inches, just as with the 429 to a 460 is worth HP. All at the same weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Speed Pro#L-2482F 20 over flattops that will get you around 9.5-9.8 depending on a few things. This will help get your HP/TQ up and you have to get new ones anyway. You have a auto trans, C-4 or C-6? It will not bolt up to any of the other SBF engines, including the 351W/C.
The 351M/400 were slugs on their best days. But only because they never were a HiPo engine from day one. That doesn't mean that can't be made to produce. The increase in cubic inches, just as with the 429 to a 460 is worth HP. All at the same weight.
Its a c6 which is why I went after a 351m, 400, 429, and 460. Nowhere around here had any. I found the 351m for 75$ hard to pass that one up. If I had a choice with the 429 or 460 I would have picked it anyday.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Personally I wouldn't give up on a 429/460 just yet. Don't start on the other engine just yet. Save your $$$ and keep looking. Especially for a complete car that has one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally I wouldn't give up on a 429/460 just yet. Don't start on the other engine just yet. Save your $$$ and keep looking. Especially for a complete car that has one.
Found one for a whopping 850$. That seems to be all I can find and I see the occasional 460 efi. Heard those aren’t easy to convert to carb without new heads

·
Registered
917 Posts
Found one for a whopping 850$. That seems to be all I can find and I see the occasional 460 efi. Heard those aren’t easy to convert to carb without new heads
850 for a non EFI is a good price. EFI you have to convert heads/intake. Not worth the money and time.

·
Subscriber
848 Posts
agreed - if $850 gets you a motor ready to drop in...boom.

a wise friend once told me: don't start with something you don't want, and try to turn it into what you do want.
start with what you want.
(ie - the bigger motor)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I went through this 351m and it’s clean and I was curious about this crank I found online. It’s a 400 Ford crank, but it says it has to be a certain engine code. I know you can swap the 400 crank in, but would this one work? Also I plan on getting the Tmeyer pistons.
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 34 Posts