Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good save. I never do anything without trying a little bit of research. That 401 seemed off to me

·
Registered
917 Posts
Rod journal size is wrong. 351M/400 is 2.311". Your 351M core won't work for them so this is a $500 crank. All 351M/400 cranks are the same. The only Ford cranks, that I know of, that are different are the cranks on 352/390s FEs truck engines.
trucks rods are stronger for a truck engine, but same length and balancing. Such as 460 trucks use the 429CJ style rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well today I stumbled upon a 429 from a 1970 thunderbird for a good price. I’m gonna buy it once I find some time off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well the 429 looked great for the 300$ I paid, was getting more and more excited as I looked into it, but then the bad news broke in. Cylinder wall had a crack on cylinder 2 and looked pretty dang bad. Now I’m in search of a block.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There probably is but a lot of people say that it is not worth it. I’ll post a picture of what we see and let you guys throw some thoughts out there

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That’s looks like some BAD damage to the cylinder wall. Not sure what but I know that’s why it wouldn’t not turn over

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The heads looked good though and the crank. I figured I could find a block and swap it on over, but i know some were internally balanced and other were externally balanced. Does that mean I have to have a specific block or it doesn’t matter?

·
Registered
917 Posts
The heads looked good though and the crank. I figured I could find a block and swap it on over, but i know some were internally balanced and other were externally balanced. Does that mean I have to have a specific block or it doesn’t matter?
Block doesn't matter, that only applies to the rotating mass. crank, pistons, damper, flexplate rods. But you would want to have all that balanced after you had machine work done.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts