Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351m in my garage that's just been collecting dust for 2 years. It's complete with valve covers, oil pan, stock intake and timing cover still assembled. It's supposed to be a runner but I can't guarantee that. I haven't looked inside it to verify condition.

I know these were poor performers.

I need to downsize my stuff in the garage, should I bother trying to sell it as a useable motor or just scrap it??

·
Registered
736 Posts
You could try and put it on craigslist. Someone with a Bronco or pickup may want it since those are what those mostly came in.

Does it spin freely with a socket on the crank?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did list it yesterday on Craigslist for $150\make offer. No replies yet.

It did turn over by hand 2 years ago when I got it. It's been kept in a dry garage since so it should still be ok.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I listed a running one on Craig's list for free a while back still ended up hauling off and dumping it at the wreaking yard my self

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think 5.0 is right. Although I don't have a 351m, I'm trying to give away a running 351c with a working c6. This is a complete engine with everthing on it and the trans still bolted on! No luck. I think its headed for the scrap heap!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think 5.0 is right. Although I don't have a 351m, I'm trying to give away a running 351c with a working c6. This is a complete engine with everthing on it and the trans still bolted on! No luck. I think its headed for the scrap heap!
Damn...if I lived in Texas I would snatch up that 351c and tranny in a heart beat!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Are you sure it's not a 400? If it were a 400, it would be worth a lot more. A 400 has a different harmonic dampner, and comes with a 12" clutch... instead of the 351M's 11" unit.

You might google how to tell the difference between them.

Good Luck!

I believe the only difference between the two, besides displacement, are the crank and pistons and it's actually just a 400...not a 400m

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
If it does not find a new home, consider something I'm doing with the local 'yard - bartering. While they must come-out well on-top as it's a biz, I'm doing trades based on scrap value, like two dead V6 engines for a set of rear disc brakes and a driveshaft. Or a 4-cylinder auto trans traded for a console and a box-full of air filter duct hoses. The trick is to get them to trade on scrap value - not the value of car parts. 500 pounds of iron scrap ($ to them) can get you a full interior (low scrap value to them) or other creative trade.

David

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David, Thats a great Idea. I'll give it a shot. Problem is I cant think of anything I need that they'd have. We only have one wrecking yard in this area and they dont hang on to older stuff.

Mike, I was told it's a 351m when I got it. I've researched how to tell the difference between 351m and 400 and all I've found is to pull the pan and get a # off the crank. Apparently the only difference between the 2 is the stroke which is determined by crank and pistons.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
David, Thats a great Idea. I'll give it a shot. Problem is I cant think of anything I need that they'd have. We only have one wrecking yard in this area and they dont hang on to older stuff.
I walk the 'yard first for stuff I can use, and if nothing, I find things I can sell easy and for more instead. A 351M for a complete Granada disc setup, or add $50 cash for a disc brake Explorer rear with limited-slip, and stuff like that. Depending on the 'yard, it may or may not be worth your time.

David

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If I was closer I'd grab it just for the block. I like those M blocks but they gotta have the 5MA (400) crank to be worth while IMHO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey if you scrap it let me know abouth the stock intake, does it have heat tubes for chock and carb. I have a 1979 f100 i bought new. Ford does not these parts no body does please advise thanks 1012 bennie.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey if you scrap it let me know abouth the stock intake, does it have heat tubes for chock and carb. I have a 1979 f100 i bought new. Ford does not these parts no body does please advise thanks 1012 bennie.
I saw one one in my local yard, nice new carb on it too.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Do you need the thin heat tube that runs to the side of the carb at the choke housing, or the fat one to the air cleaner? If it's the little one, you can make your own from steel brake line. I have some thermal (woven fiberglass) sleeving for them if you need some.

David

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Damn...if I lived in Texas I would snatch up that 351c and tranny in a heart beat!

I AM in Texas and wish I had the transport to snatch it up myself, But 550ish miles one way trip is a little rough.... Damn..:cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts