Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 coupe with a tired 289, I have a 351W from my sons crashed 87 F150 its a 351W 4V HO less than 5k miles since it had a complete overhaul.
I already replaced the harmonic and got all the pullies to match in chrome and Im ready to do the swap but I still have a few dilemas.

Headers
I can not find any headers except the ones for the swap
but there too expensive for my budget I have also seen some headers advertised for all three small blocks 289,302,351W and in other places they show one model header for 289,302 and another for the 351W.
Flowtech, Headman Tri-Y should I go long or shorty for street
use?

Anyone out there has any advise on this issue.

Carb
The motor has a Holley 4180 runs fine except in idle
I already rebuilt it but the shafts have too much play.

Should I get the Holley S40587 which is a unversal replacement or should I go with an Edelbrock 1406.

finaly Transmission
Should I keep my original 3 speed or should I also
throw in the 4 with OD from the pickup the local transmission shop told me there is no difference between the same tranny
from a f150 or a car the difference is in the rear end, is this correct.

Any suggestions will be greatly apreciated

·
Registered
862 Posts
Headers
I can not find any headers except the ones for the swap
but there too expensive for my budget I have also seen some headers advertised for all three small blocks 289,302,351W and in other places they show one model header for 289,302 and another for the 351W.
Flowtech, Headman Tri-Y should I go long or shorty for street
use?
351W has a taller deck from 289,302 so you would have to shoot for 351W headers if you are considering full length headers. Not sure about the shorties as I assume you could make up the difference with customized exhaust.

Carb
The motor has a Holley 4180 runs fine except in idle
I already rebuilt it but the shafts have too much play.

Should I get the Holley S40587 which is a unversal replacement or should I go with an Edelbrock 1406.
Choice is yours, BUT alot of guys put too much carb. You didn't mention what type if intake you have or plan to use? What will your average RPM range be? What transmission will you use?

finaly Transmission
Should I keep my original 3 speed or should I also
throw in the 4 with OD from the pickup the local transmission shop told me there is no difference between the same tranny
from a f150 or a car the difference is in the rear end, is this correct.
A 351W will mate to an AOD without any problems. The only thing you have to ensure you do properly is the TVI cableing.
Any suggestions will be greatly apreciated
Before you make some of these decisions, I would go to the WindsorFox website http://windsor-fox.com and/or the Baumann Engineering website for more information. http://www.baumannengineering.com/pguide.htm and read up on some stuff you should know. Even though they relate more to the 5.0 swap there's tons of info there relating to requirements for AOD etc.... Good Luck and hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Some headers for a 69-70 mustang with a 351 should work. For a carb I would go with a 600 VS holley if you are kepping it stock, and going up in size depending on how much modifying you plan on doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the same thing about the headers on some sites they show 351W headers covering 67 to 70 others say 69-70 I would thing though a 69 is longer and wider by only a few inches it should not affect the headers fitting it.

As for the carb this motor which is a 351W HO came with a 4V holley on it from the factory on 86 and 87 F-150's and it did come out of an 87 F-150 that my sone had and cought on fire because of a fuel leak but I salvaged the motor and got it started with the original carb and a rebuilt dist.

Thanks for the input

Xavier

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put a 351W in my '67 coupe recently, was able to find some Hooker headers that fit the application perfectly -- but its a tight squeeze!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just went through the 351w header thing myself on a '70 coupe.. I put the Hooker 6901-1 long tubes on and they fit with no problem except that the collectors are within a half inch of the floor pan and the exits are a little blocked by the auto-trans cross member. I'm going to put heat shield between the collectors and the floor pan and fab up a pair of reducers with a slight downward angle. Hopefully, this will give me the clearance I need and not burn my feet off! I would definately recommend the ceramic coated ones to help keep the heat in. I haven't fired it up yet so don't know. I'm waiting on my ignition wires before I can do that. Anyone out there use this compo before?

·
Registered
664 Posts
what exactly constitutes this 351 HO? As I recall, 87 truck 351's were like 190 or 210 hp, it was probably the 302's that had 190. Just wondering if there was anything special about them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't really be too shure about what the HO here is but when I looked up the truck specs on a build sheet I found under the dash the engine said 351W HO 4v but in any case a free 351W that has less than 5k since a complete overhaul will make a very nice donor for my coupe, then next year I can plan on a cam and maybe heads, besides I know for a fact it has much more juce than my mustang when the truck ran it was fast for a stock f-150.

My only concern is what headers will really fit and not break
my budget I get mixed comments about what should fit or not
and im not confident yet on any of the answers I have gotten yet.

Thanks
Xavier

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where are you located,
What brand are they
How old
are they 1-1/2 or 1-5/8 to what 2-1/2 or 3"
Do you have the collectors ?
what zip so I can figure the freight to Miami

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xaviervp on 6/14/06 11:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm in Sacramento CA 95814. The headers are the Hedman 1-5/8 swap headers for the 351w into a Mustang the only thing you would have to
get are the reducers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me call headman and get a price and availability on the reducers and flange and I will get back to you.

thanks
Xavier

·
Registered
17 Posts
I run Headman headers on my 351 in my 65. I have 3inch collectors. Fits just fine in my 65. Hell I even put the engine back in with them on. Headmans 351 headers are excellent. I just wish I would have had them coated while I had the engine out.

Pic below

ow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts