Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got -70 351w heads and it has pressed in studs. -78 heads have no studs just tapped holes for sled rockers.

Problem is that -70 heads came with bit worn rockers (valve end tip was worn in 10 rockers) and I'm wondering for cheapest solution to get these heads to working condition.

1. buy new -70 style rockers (what, where, how much?)
2. reconditioning old rockers (can it be done for these "cast" rockers?)
3. use somehow -78 sled rockers?? (get out studs and make proper thread to them??)

Is there any functional difference between those two rockerarm type?

Yes, I was stupid to assume that valve components including rocker arms would be compatible between these heads.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You probably need "rail" type rockers if you have stock valves in those '70 heads.The old worn rockers are not repairable. Comp Cams roller tip rail type rockers, part number 1431-16 would work good. Summit sells them for about $140.No need to replace the studs unless you have a cam with over about .540 lift,the press in ones will be fine.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I've seen the top of the valve stem wear to the point where the rails on the rockers hit the retainers. If you don't have the cash to get it fixed just grind some of the rail off the rocker so it don't hit the retainer and save your money until you can fix it right. I've done it to a few 302's

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm with JustJim on this one.I use the roller tip rockers and they work well.The stock ford rail type rockers seem to chew up the valve stems pretty bad especially if you are running a hotter than stock cam.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The stock rail guided rockers are about $2.00-$2.50 each at any parts store and most carry the Sealed Power brand. They are new rockers identicle to stockers. Don't even try to use the fulcrum sled rockers on those '70 heads and don't even consider using those junk '78 castings. Get new rockers for the '70 heads and maybe new valves and you're set. 1 point more compression, larger valves, and larger intake ports are the benefits of using the '70 351W heads over the '78 351W heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts