Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1985 block and crank. i am going to get it balanced before i put it back together.what harmonic balancer do i use?? one for ext. or int. balance.can i use a early balancer from a 1969 of 1970. what flex plate for a c-4. the shop has to send the stuff out to get balanced and they want the flex plate and harmonic.i kinda want to stick to a stock set up.if i break one or the other and can just replace it with another stock piece and it won't screw up the balance job. need some help on this. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
All 351w regardless of year are 28oz imbalanced and are externally balanced.Just go for the stock type balancer + flexplate and you shouldn't have any prob.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, that was what i was kinda thinking.who makes a good stock balancer??

·
Registered
38 Posts
about the 3 bolt balancer, that brings up a thought. you might want to go to your local speed shop, look at the MARCH catalog, you will see a slight diference between 3 and 4 bolt balancer to the different waterpump applications. make sure you plan accordingly so you dont need to chase down a crank pulley that doesnt exist. things that need attention.
waterpump
radiator outlet...(driver or pass. side)
# of bolts on the balancer.
reason... the water pump snouts vary in length, sometimes throwing off pulleys when mixing early and late.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts