Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just had my crank and stuff balanced. the crank shaft has a lot of slag and rough spots in it. if i knock the slag off will it screww up the balance job???????????

·
Registered
698 Posts
Great question, guess the machine shops don't think the rough edges "slag" will ever disconnect, or they're not concerned about scraping knuckles on the edges. I went ahead and smoothed the edges on mine.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I would have cleaned it up before the balance job. If you are getting you tires balanced you would clean the mud form the rims before you balance them!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2002-01-28 07:39, V8740 wrote:
I would have cleaned it up before the balance job. If you are getting you tires balanced you would clean the mud form the rims before you balance them!!
lot a help you are.

·
Registered
698 Posts
In my deal, they were "clean" before they went to the machinist. The machinist ground the balance pads in order to "balance" the assembly. He must have used a rough stone or belt to remove weight. If I took the material I removed from each rod, multiplied it by 100, I wouldn't get close to 1 gram. Hardly enough weight to worry about for balance, but plenty to cut your hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts