Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of posts flying around about block strength, so what is the threashold for a 351w? I'm runnung a .030 1976 block, and should be close to 600hp at the crank before the summer is out. Am I looking for trouble with block cracking?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
You'll be fine.....for a while.

There are so many rumors floating around about the strength it's not even funny. I've broken 2 351's..one blew the main webs out and the other a broken Scat iron crank (9000 series).

The one that blew the mains out was a 15:1 compression alcohol injected 357" windsor that ran 6.30's in the 1/8 in a 2600 lb car. what the HP was I have no idea...I'd say close to 525 if I had to guess. Before it let go, I was playing with some nitromethane and ran a 5.78 at 123 mph in the same car. The very next race day I noticed low oil pressure...probably due to a crack in the webbing. I should have shut it down that day, but I just kept racing it another 3 race meets with 20 psi oil pressure, and finally it broke.

Do a search...I posted some pics a while back.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I do not see any problems at the 600 hp level. NA.
Now when you get into boost and Nos you need to be careful.
Myself i think i am close to 550 hp at the fly. I can break stuff like u-joints, Tranny pumps, direct hubs. Geese..
Now when i break the block i will know for sure i am making some power. lol

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
removed by poster. New subject, new thread.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 7/16/06 10:02am ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts