Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys. I've been doing a lot of soul searching on my 351W build-up. After a lot of thought, research and help from guys like blk91gt, I've decided to go with the following setup for my 88 T-Bird. 351W roller block, topped with TFS track heat heads, 1.6 rr, TFS 10:1 pistons wrapped with Total Seal gapless rings and a TFS 351W "R" intake. For EFI components, I plan to use 30lb injectors, a 75mm TB and a 80mm Maf (I'm still undecided on the brands at this time). My problem is that I'm still undecided on what cam I should go with, to meet my expectations.

Now.. with that said. All I want, is for my T-Bird to be able to break into the 11's, while not being a pain in the butt to drive on the street. Am I asking for too much here?

While this car won't be a daily driver (It will mostly be a toy), I'd still like to be able to drive it around town, or on the highway without nagging driveability problems. I definitely don't want to have to idle this car at 1800 rpms. I also don't want to have to spin this motor to the moon to get any power out of it on the street. If I have to choose between radical and streetabilty, I'd rather play it on the conservative side and just go with a cam that I know would give me good street manners, like the stage 2. From the feedback I've seen on here, it looks like the stage 2 would put me in the mid 12's at least. That's almost as fast as I want to go.

I've read a lot of Windsor posts on here though, that talk about how mild-mannered even a TFS stage 2 cam is in a 351W. From anyones experience, do you think the TFS stage 3 cam would give me what I'm looking for? Maybe you think a custom ground cam, would be the only way I can have my cake and eat it too? I'm open to any and all input.
So you know. I'm running this power through an AOD (with a 3000 rpm stall, lock-up converter) and have 3.73 gears out back.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Custom grind is almost always the best choice. I don't mind paying for something that is for sure right. Any of the big name companies can make a custom cam. I prefer Ulrtradyne for my cams, though. They have excellent customer service and have been around for quite a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts