Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
well on a 351 windsor block the bottom end is pretty strong, are you talking about things you like thread in the block to make it accept 4 bolt mains

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Maybe there has been some prior talk in here about this project that I missed ...

But, Why a Cleveland crank in a Windsor block?

What is the advantage? I've heard of 400 cranks in Windsor blocks, but you a gaining stroke with that set-up. Aren't you just trading a 3.5" stroke for a 3.5" stroke and in the process creating some "engineering" headaches?

As I understand it the Windsor rotating assembly is lighter than the Cleveland so one might expect quicker response form the Windsor.

Talk to me ... I think there must be something here for me to learn

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I guess you're concerned about bearing speeds with the large 3.00" main journals... But, unless you plan on turning huge rpm's for extended periods of time, you won't have a problem. Get the Federal Mogul 3/4 groove race bearing and be happy.

I would trust the 3.00" journals and 3/4 groove bearings before I'd trust the spacers.

My $0.02

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes bearing speed is the big thing. I trying to build a motor that will spin 8000 plus and the run 7500 all day. I have two set of inserts to adapt the block for a cleveland crank with four bolt caps. Also have carrillo rods with 2.1 big end also less bearing speed. With the smaller main size i would think a cleveland crank would be lighter. Just trying to get others opions on this is all.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
if I was spinning that hard for a long period of time, I'd invest in a motorsport block and 4340 crank, along with roller cam bearings. Just my $.02, and we all know what that's worth!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Nah, a 351W block can handle that especially with 4 bolt mains where the extended 7500+RPMs will make the 2 bolt caps walk some but not the 4 bolt mains. Not really any "stronger" than a 2 bolt main 351W block except for the Cap walking being under control with the 4 bolt main caps. I had a friend who used those spacers for the 351C crank and didn't have any problems spinning the snot out of that 4V closed chamber cleveland with Windsor block(2 bolt mains and before the main guirdles were available) over 8500RPMs on the dirt track. Proper "crush" with the bearings and spacers combined will make the difference between spinning bearings(losing spacers) and not having a lick of trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts