Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if you can use a 351w dist and oil pump in a 289? My buddy has a brand new Mallory unilite dist that I can get for a steal. The only thing we noticed different about the distibutors is that the 351 uses a bigger diameter oil pump shaft. The oil pumps look the same too other than the larger shaft. Is a 351w oil pump shaft longer than the 289? Just thought I might try it since I can get the dist so cheap.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm not sure about the oil pump I think its basically the same but if the shaft is bigger that could be a problem because I'm sure the distributor won't fit because its taller for the 351s increased deck height.By taller I mean from the bottom side of the gear to the rubber o-ring where it seals in the block.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 3/13/02 2:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I compaired the 2 distributers. From the gear to the o ring are the same distance. The only difference is the shaft diameter. I guess I should find oil pump shafts and see if they are different lengths.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
If you look at both distributor where the oil pump drive shaft goes in you will find that they are a diffrent diameter. There is a pilot hole in the block that it goes into to keep it from moving around the 351 will not fit into the 289 or 302 blocks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I figured I couldn't get that lucky, but I thought I might try.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Buy the thing and put it in the FM classifieds. I know several of us would be interested in a deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts