Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently swapping a 351 from a '75 Ranchero into a 1966 Ranchero. The '75 had the early Ford electronic system, with the sealed computer box and star-shaped Hall-effect sensor in the distributor. Can I cut off the connector and run those wires straight to the coil, and run it like that? Or does the distributor need the brain box?

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I'm currently swapping a 351 from a '75 Ranchero into a 1966 Ranchero. The '75 had the early Ford electronic system, with the sealed computer box and star-shaped Hall-effect sensor in the distributor. Can I cut off the connector and run those wires straight to the coil, and run it like that? Or does the distributor need the brain box?
You need the box with a blue gommet. Then just a power feed tot he box from the ignition side and run side of your power system.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi

Dura Spark II.

Run ignition ON to red wire. Start to the white wire.
Other wires go to the Dizzy.

;)

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Be sure to use the Ford DuraSparkII coil or aftermarket equivalent, as a "standard" coil will not allow the increase in power that the DSII system is designed for and capable of. The DSII is a solid and powerful system similar to the GM HEI equivalent, but needs to be used as a complete package or modified under certain parameters to maintain its increased performance.

David

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, looking at the box options, it seems that the blue-connector box has four wires other than the two power wires, while my dizzy only needs three. The only box that has five wires is the gray-connector unit. Is this the one I should run?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
So, looking at the box options, it seems that the blue-connector box has four wires other than the two power wires, while my dizzy only needs three. The only box that has five wires is the gray-connector unit. Is this the one I should run?
Blue box. Maybe this pic will help.

David

DS2 general layout:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My stock distributor still has the old-style cap on it, while that diagram has the spark-plug-style cap. Is that a problem?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
My stock distributor still has the old-style cap on it, while that diagram has the spark-plug-style cap. Is that a problem?
It can be. The DSII is a true HEI type ignition, and the larger cap ensures there is no cross-firing between terminals. I know some (and even myself) have run them with the small cap, however, the cap (with brass terminals) and rotor were new, the plug wires were new, the plug gaps were right, and so there was no excessive resistance to help cap terminal arcing. If you have any weakness in the secondary system, you can have issues with cross-firing (obviously bad). If you are anal about keeping your system in top-notch condition, you may be fine. If you have any doubt run the large cap as designed.

David

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm starting to realize why the '75 ran terribly.

Also, I have the box with a green connector. This one seems to have the correct number of leads. Can I just go ahead and use this one?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi

Just upgrade to the newer cap.
Buy Lower adapter, Cap & rotor
Wires will also need to be swapped.

I did this for my Points dizzy.

:)

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
... Also, I have the box with a green connector. This one seems to have the correct number of leads. Can I just go ahead and use this one?
Yes, that will get you going. Technically, Ford did not call yours DuraSpark, but rather Breakerless Electronic Ignition and precedes DS1 or DS2, but is most like DS2 in function and wiring.

The cap, rotor, and cap adapter are about $30 for all three, plus plug wires (or wire terminals and boots if you have good wires) to convert to the big cap. Also, be sure the coil is mounted vertically, as it is oil filled for cooling, and the lower resistance (than typical) primary windings get hot quickly and can burn-out if mounted any other way. There are mods you can do to run even hotter coils, but we will save that for later.

David

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
run the blue box not the green, you can also run a chrysler or gm hei as well as many aftermarket ignition boxes like msd,accel and mallory to control your ignition.

·
Registered
780 Posts
IMHO these GM style HEI dizzy's are the cheapest and easiest way to go for electronic ignition conversions. Under $100 on ebay. I ran one on my ski boat with a 351w for years with no troubles. If you don't mind running something other than OE Ford style that is. It uses a standard GM cap,rotor,coil and module available anywhere.

Keep in mind it is a cheap made in China piece so take it for what it's worth. Mine lasted fine. I pulled it once and checked for excess shaft wear and all was good. I also carried a spare ignition module. Also keep in mind it's quite a bit bigger than a Ford dizzy so clearance with things like the air cleaner housing may be an issue.

All it needs to run is a switched 12v source (not through a resistor). There is also a tach connector.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts