Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired my Friends 69 Cougar. It currently has a 351w cam (unknown) Victor Jr intake and 2" Spacer on a 750CFM Edelbrock , Hooker superComp headers Petronix distributor. I'm tired of trying to figure out what else i need to change (not much tired just tired of spending money so far 1000), The newest addition was the petronix with no resolved issue. It has trouble starting in the morning but when it does it runs rich. It has an electric Red pump from Holley no regulator though. I got the carb tuned according to this one mechanic and he adjusted the timing and still i have to feather it in order to get her moving with out boggin out. I seen all the other threads and no resolutions. I did buy a new AVS edelbrock 650cfm still did the same so i placed my old one back in.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I believe you need a regulator with that pump. It puts out 7PSi which is just on the high side if you have weak float springs and can cause a flooding situation until the rpms get higher.
Also I would say your acc pump on the carb, but you tried another one with same results.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
always test before you spend.
are you getting black smoke on startup or when you goose it?

like rickyracer said, you may be too high on the fuel pressure.

beyond that, i'd be looking at something like a weak coil, etc.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some mechanics tune a carb at idle but don't properly adjust the linkages to make the right things happen at the right time. What kind of choke pull off does it have? There are a variety of manual, electric, vacuum mechanisms. Like RickyRacer said, it sounds like an accelerator pump issue but it could also be the choke plate might not be opening correctly as you go through the range of throttle positions. You may not need any more parts - just some time. Holley has a bunch of YouTube videos that may help.

Reactions: 6Cougar9

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you need a regulator with that pump. It puts out 7PSi which is just on the high side if you have weak float springs and can cause a flooding situation until the rpms get higher.
Also I would say your acc pump on the carb, but you tried another one with same results.
just bought a fuel pressure regulator and gauge plumbing I’ll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
always test before you spend.
are you getting black smoke on startup or when you goose it?

like rickyracer said, you may be too high on the fuel pressure.

View attachment 166247

beyond that, i'd be looking at something like a weak coil, etc.
New coil new dis petronix msd wires 650 AVS edelbrock with electric choke just bought a fuel pressure regulator and gauge plumbing I’ll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some mechanics tune a carb at idle but don't properly adjust the linkages to make the right things happen at the right time. What kind of choke pull off does it have? There are a variety of manual, electric, vacuum mechanisms. Like RickyRacer said, it sounds like an accelerator pump issue but it could also be the choke plate might not be opening correctly as you go through the range of throttle positions. You may not need any more parts - just some time. Holley has a bunch of YouTube videos that may help.
just bought a fuel pressure regulator and gauge plumbing I’ll keep you posted I feel the red Holley pump puts too much psi down both carbs got a 750 Edelbrock and an electric choke 650 AVS Edelbrock both responded the same

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing not mentioned here is if the carb has an electric choke or not. If it does, keep in mind that the factory choke used a combination electric an head drawn from the exhaust manifold. The electric part was just an assist with the main head coming from the manifold. The voltage that was supplied to that choke was voltage coming off the coil feed which is run through a resistor. If you use that for the choke supply on an aftermarket carb it will not have enough voltage to heat the coil in a timely manner. Another thing to keep in mind is the vacuum pull off part of the choke. If it isn't adjusted correctly it may not pull the choke open far enough at startup to keep from flooding. Also, if you have a healthy cam installed, the vacuum at idle/cold maybe a little weak to pull the choke off as well. Of course a vacuum leak would cause this problem as well. The key to the vacuum part is to make sure you have enough vacuum at cold idle and that it is plumbed correctly. I personally don't like manual chokes, but that might be an option as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing not mentioned here is if the carb has an electric choke or not. If it does, keep in mind that the factory choke used a combination electric an head drawn from the exhaust manifold. The electric part was just an assist with the main head coming from the manifold. The voltage that was supplied to that choke was voltage coming off the coil feed which is run through a resistor. If you use that for the choke supply on an aftermarket carb it will not have enough voltage to heat the coil in a timely manner. Another thing to keep in mind is the vacuum pull off part of the choke. If it isn't adjusted correctly it may not pull the choke open far enough at startup to keep from flooding. Also, if you have a healthy cam installed, the vacuum at idle/cold maybe a little weak to pull the choke off as well. Of course a vacuum leak would cause this problem as well. The key to the vacuum part is to make sure you have enough vacuum at cold idle and that it is plumbed correctly. I personally don't like manual chokes, but that might be an option as well.
I have both I’m currently running the edelbrock 1407 which I believe is a 750cfm but have the 650 AVS which is electric I’m about to start installing the fuel pressure gauge and regulator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts