Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 351w that only has a few thousand miles on it but has been sitting around for a while. Tying to figure out exactally what this thiung came out of?

Block Casting: E4AE-6015-FA4 ..... date code 8C10
Heads (351w cast iron) ..... date codes 8C16
Intake D9DE-9425-CB .... aluminum 2v .... carburated? or FI ?
non serpentine, rear sump

I do know its a 351W and jusging by the casting codes 1988, but looking for more info. Could this be a 351W HO or not? and what did it originally come in?
Bronco? Crown Vic? F250?

never appears to be apart, took the pan and valve covers off.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Correct on 1988. Not an HO - though that's not anything particularly special as they had a marine cam and a 4v Holley. Pffft. The trucks and Police-only CVs had some of them as they had lower emissions standards. The biggest difference in the package that made it feel like it had more power was the deeper gears included with the HO. It felt better. Anyway, that's a standard '88 351W with the same heads as a 302, TFI ignition, and the oil pickup looks to be for a truck/van, but I'm not sure of the camera angle. It should have come with 2v CFI (GM calls it TBI) fuel injection. Whatcha gonna do widdit?

David

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure at this time if I'm gonna keep it or sell it.
If I put a Edelbrock dual plane 4v and a 600 Holley are there performance gains? Or am I wasting my time, based on cam and compression ratio?

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
The manifold will make a small improvement over any stock 4v manifold, and the Holley will help a bit overall, as the primaries are smaller and more responsive than the 2v CFI (rated at 500 CFM IIRC). The heads are the greatest restriction, and aren't decent for a 302 let alone a 351. So a more complete package of (minimum) GT40 heads, intake, 4v, mild cam and good exhaust can push it right over 300hp. Good aftermarket heads or good porting will really wake it up on top-end and the typical smaller chambers will bump the compression as well. It depends on how far you want to go to let it breathe. It's just a stock grocery-getter 351, and not much worse off than any other factory W, it just has asthma.

David

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the aluminum intake it's most definitely fr a car; full size Crown Vic, Country Squire, Grand Marquis, Colony Park or (possibly) the police pkg. It would have had the 7200VV carb. We had an '87 Colony Park LS that was identical in every detail. Trucks had cast iron intakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question for you guys. I searched my block ID number and found this thread but your ID number is a little different then mine. Mine is E4AE-6015-FA18 and I cannot seem to find it. Any help please?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts