Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what plate am i do i run with a c-4?? it is a 1985 block and crank. i am using a 1969 3 hole dampner up front.so, 164 teeth??? need help. the machine shop wants to balance my stuff and he needs the dampner and flex plate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the flexplate size is determined by the bellhousing.
reason: the position of the starter mounting flange.
if you use a big bellhousing with the 157 flex the starter will never reach the flex.
unless you are running a scattersheild with dual drilled starter flange made for big and small flywheel. (for all you manual trans users):D

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Also, depending on which bellhousing you choose/have, and then that decides which flexplate you use, this now decides for you which converter style you get to run in the vehicle. (i.e. 164 tooth flexplate uses wide dimension for torque converter boltup, whereas 154 tooth flexplate uses 10" one.
I got the chance to swap down to a 157 tooth flexplate, and bellhousing, but it's going (if I did it), over 350 dolleros to have the converter redone for the smaller pattern! Suck city! Why can't ford be/have generic bolt holes/bolts like gm does. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well , i won't be using the 69 dampner on the 85 crank. the dampner dudes told me to use the 50oz instead of the early 28oz the 85 crank is set up for the heavier dampner. so i was told. i have a c-4 that is bolted up to a 302, so i guess that is a small bell housing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts