Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are replacing his 67 Mustang 6cyl 3 spd with a 75' 351W and a 92' T5. We have a flywheel with a cast# C6AE-63 C and a stamped D7TE-HA. From what I can find out this is a 77 truck with a 302? It has NO counter weight on the back. If all of the early fords are 28 oz will this flywheel work?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am uncertain but think your good to go... all the earlier sbf stuff swaps. its the later stuff is when they switched the balance on them....

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
No. That is for an I6 300/4.9L with internal balance. It will bolt-on, but will not balance correctly. You need 28.8 oz/in balance factor with a stock 351W.

David

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My son and I are replacing his 67 Mustang 6cyl 3 spd with a 75' 351W and a 92' T5. We have a flywheel with a cast# C6AE-63 C and a stamped D7TE-HA. From what I can find out this is a 77 truck with a 302? It has NO counter weight on the back. If all of the early fords are 28 oz will this flywheel work?
I was going by what he had posted so i dunno, I'll retract.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Yeah, my lookup said I6 for the HA flywheel (not 302), so it's zero balance. Makes sense from his counterweight comment.

David

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeah, my lookup said I6 for the HA flywheel (not 302), so it's zero balance. Makes sense from his counterweight comment.

David

Understood. ( I didnt do any google type search, nor do I have any books to look it up in. )

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Yes, the zero balance flywheel is for a 300 I6.

The earlier clutches that were used with the 28oz-in flywheel are set up for the earlier 10 spline transmission input shaft. The later 50oz-in stuff (T5) uses a finer spline input. 26 spline, maybe. Plus, the 351W flywheel is 164 tooth, and won't fit in a T5 bell housing.

How are you planning to attach the T5 transmission? If you are using a T5 bell housing, they use a 157 tooth flywheel, and you'll also need to do a cable conversion for the clutch actuation. mustangsteve.com sells a good cable clutch conversion for that. The T5 flywheel you'll need is a special 'conversion' piece that has the lighter 28oz-in balance (351W) and uses a T5 style clutch. Using the heavier 50 oz-in balance (5.0) flywheel will make the engine vibrate when it's running.

So, to use the T5... Use the T5 bell housing, 28oz conversion flywheel, and Mustang Steve's cable clutch conversion kit. Any T5 clutch will fit.

TONS of good info at the Mustang Steve site. Check it out!

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I bought my fly wheel from California Mustangs if I remember correctly. Check any of the classic Mustang stores.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
300 I6 ?
300 will bolt to a V8 sb
no need for the oem type pad counter weight . 300's can be used if balanced to the 28 i/b. look for several large drill holes on the block side/outer edge

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
The 164T 300 flywheel can be re-balanced, but still won't work if he is also using a 157T T5 bell as Mike said. I think we need confirmation of parts on-hand from the OP before getting too confusing here.

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
So, to use the T5... Use the T5 bell housing, 28oz conversion flywheel, and Mustang Steve's cable clutch conversion kit. Any T5 clutch will fit.

TONS of good info at the Mustang Steve site. Check it out!

Good Luck!
You can also very easily convert the stock T5 bellhousing to use the stock 67 mustang linkage...We used an 87 T-5 in my brothers car and the clutch from his toploader.In fact we never even unbolted it from the flywheel.We just changed the bellhousing and trans from toploader to T5..Everything else was stock 1967 289 stuff and it all worked fine other than the engine plate bolt holes did not line up with the bottom portion of the T5 bellhousing.This did not affect the function of anything.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
You can also very easily convert the stock T5 bellhousing to use the stock 67 mustang linkage...
Indeed. There are many options, and my favorite is hydraulic, with the smoothness, auto-adjusting, flexibility of routing, and ease of install. Lots of options. Pick one and go.
:tup:
David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts