Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 351w & FMX automatic from a '69 Cougar that I would like to bolt into my '79 Mustang Coupe. I know the 351 will bolt in with the right oil pan and headers, but will the trans fit? Also, any reason I can't use the 351w v-belt front dress and get away from buying mounts to adapt the 302 serpantine stuff to the 351?

I'm trying to put this together cheaply. I want to put the saved money into heads & cam.

Thanks,
Jess

·
Registered
8 Posts
all of the 5.0 acessories bolt right onto the 351w except the powersteering/ac units. however ford racing sell a kit to adapt that too. so all it all, not a lot of work or money and a more modern set up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the FMX is basicly the same size as a C4, maybe slightly bigger and people run those all the time.. so yes it will bolt up, but you might have to move the cross member alittle...

·
Registered
30 Posts
the fmx fits just fine, the yoke from the Aod is a different size than the fmx, so you will need to get the right yoke, and an offset u-joint. (at least I did) also when I tried this I didn't have the cable bracket from the fmx (out of a 79 t-bird) and my shift pattern was reversed, now I have a C-4, replacing that with a c-6.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i put a windsor in my 82 fox body the cheapest headers i could find were a set of bbk's from summit for around $339.00 i think and had to do some clearancing for the steering shaft. but the nice thing is unlike my 5.0 wth headers I can change out my starter with out pulling the header

1 - 6 of 6 Posts