Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello just joined this forum and am seeking much needed advise on an short block i bought with a 68 xr7 cougar I purchased. The guy I bought it off of was a machinist. He gave me the full list of specs on the engine which started out as a 351 w block. He milled a 400 crank and sized Chrysler rods to it. It has Keith black pistons with huge reliefs. The tech sheet is hopefully going to be uploaded on here. I have no clue what heads or cam I should purchase for this. Not worried about cost just want someone with
Knowledge to direct
  • Me. Thank you. 0E430810-4056-4FA6-8A7A-020F7ED07D21.jpeg
    0E430810-4056-4FA6-8A7A-020F7ED07D21.jpeg

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
This is an OLD SCHOOL stroker! This is how they did it before all the cheap Chinese stroker kits came out. They work just fine as long as the machine work it good, you don't try and spin them over 6000-6500 rpm, and don't pound them with a bunch of nitrous.

The cam and heads you choose will depend on what you want to do with the engine. How many rpm do you want to spin? Are you going to race it, or just street drive the car? Your expectations and intentions for the car are what will dictate the parts you need to buy. (carb, intake, heads, cam, headers, exhaust)

The transmission/converter and rear gear are also important. What do you have there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trans I put in car is a top loader. My intentions are just to run it on the street. Yes it will have headers. I already put the drop link for the power steering. Man I really appreciate you responding what is your suggestion as far as heads? Cam and carb. Right now I have a 600cfm its on a stock 302. I am planning on a 9” rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody? Lol 172 views and no one has a lead ,thought, or advise? Come on guys help a guy out. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
The trans I put in car is a top loader. My intentions are just to run it on the street. Yes it will have headers. I already put the drop link for the power steering. Man I really appreciate you responding what is your suggestion as far as heads? Cam and carb. Right now I have a 600cfm its on a stock 302. I am planning on a 9” rear.
You're feeding 400+ 'big block' cubic inches though small block cylinder heads. It's hard to go 'too big'. Something in the 195-205cc range would be good for a street car.
As far as the carb, intake, cam, headers, exhaust... that depends upon what you want to do with the car, and the rpm range it will work in. If you are looking to race it, those will be far different than if you never plan to go over 5k rpm, and cruise back and forth to car shows. It will also depend on the rear gear and car weight. Your budget will also be a huge factor.

So, fill in some of those blanks, and you will get much better answers. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts