Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.

I currently have a 302 of an 85 mustang and a C4 transmission.

I wanted to build a stroker and eventually put a supercharger with low boost on it so I was looking into having a 363 Dart block build from Fordstrokers

but seeing the pricing it looks like I would be much better off just getting the 408 Longblock which is nice because I have been looking at the 408s for a while.

I am going to sell my current motor this winter to help fund the build. So what I was wondering is what all would I need to change to swap to a 351w. I am wondering to 1) feel out what is worth it and know what I am getting into and 2) the more that needs to change the more I am going to sell with mine this winter.

My big concern is my transmission bolting up? and torque convertor

also if I would need certain headers for clearance?

thanks alot!

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
  1. What car and what mods so far?
  2. What are your final goals? (Please be specific.)
It will help for us to get a picture of what TQ/HP, chassis mods and other stuff you might need.

David

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. What car and what mods so far?
  2. What are your final goals? (Please be specific.)
It will help for us to get a picture of what TQ/HP, chassis mods and other stuff you might need.

David
Hope this is good!! if not I apologize

it's a 69 falcon that used to be a v6 although it had an old 302 in it when i got the car.

Since then the only mods would be

They had converted it from column shift to floor shift but left alot of old shifter related junk hanging around so that has since been removed

the new 302
new alum rad w/ tranny cooler
electric fan
street fire ignition box
had the C4 rebuilt with racing and hp in mind and a shift kit put in.
hughes 3000 stall
full length Hooker competition headers
competition engineering 3way adjustable drag shocks all way around
will be putting in frame connectors
2.5in exhaust turned out infront of rears

car is going in to the shop in a week or 2 to swap in a 9in with 4.11s, springs moved, and more or less mini tubbed

been looking at gear vendors overdrive units and thinking when i have money to burn i may go that route haha.

So the 408w goal since i am more interested in time slips than dyno sheets would be eventually low 10s and go from there. but if i had to put a hp range to it 500-650hp considering i will be dropping a novi supercharger on it. unless i get crazy with it later i don't see anymore than 10psi. i will be running it as it comes set up with for a while anyway. just personally feel it a better route for me than a 150-200 shot of spray.

My overal goal with the car is something to make noise around town with a fun and mean cruise to work lol. When i overdrive it then the odd longer trip becomes a little more realistic, and hit the track and a few of the little armdrop drag events they have around here a few times a year.

I figure if i can sell my current set up complete and make a good dent in a complete 408w longblock I might as well. alot more so than spending the same for a Dart based shortblock.

I don't mind getting rid of my headers with the engine when i sell it if i need something else which I am pretty sure I will just wondering what ones to fit the 351w in there lol.

and really my big concern to rule out any other surprises i may have in getting it in there

·
Registered
71 Posts
a 351 should drop right in, they are a little tighter because of the taller deck height but it isn't a big deal.
when I did my swap I reused my headers, but they were tighter to the floor.
obviously you will need a new intake, and have to redo your accessory mounts.
the tranny and convertor will bolt up but with more power the convertor stall speed will be higher.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts