Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Do I have to modify my shock towers to fit a 351W into my Falcon and.... how difficult is it to make a transmission cross brace for a C-4 transmission?

Thanks in advance!

Terry

·
Registered
1 Posts
it will fit with out cutting your towers . Tubular automotive makes a custom header for that set up i will find the phone number and put it on here latter. i just did some simpel mods on my 61 trans mount i sure you will be able to do the same .good luck
profalcon

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I am also thinking of putting a351w in a 63 falcon with a c-4.Anybody have any timeslips for one of these combos.It will probably be between 9and 10:1 compression with 69 heads and usual bolt ons with 2800 stall and 4.11 gears.I've heard the headers for this swap are only 15/8 diameter tubes is that enough for a fairly healthy 351?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Would you believe 1 5/8" headers with my 351W in 3200# car went 9.50s at 143MPH? I'd say 1 5/8 will be plenty. I had no choice but to use them but after that, I am a firm believer that small headers don't kill power like everybody thinks. I also had a friend in Tuls when I lived there that had a '68 Cougar with stock unported '74 351W heads and flat top 4V 351W shortblock and a healthy solid flat tappet cam with 1 1/2" primary headers and ran 11.70s with a '78 Pinto 2.8 V6 C-4 converter with extended legs welded on to match 10.5" bolt circle of the 157 tooth flexplate which stalled to 3500RPMs and 4.10 gears with 26" tall McReary dirt tires. Super cheap and simple combo but ran hard for what it was. 1 1/2" headers!
1 5/8" will be plenty for you. No problem

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Oh, on that Cougar he also was using an unported 351W Victor Jr and 850DP Holley. Like I said, the heads were stock with stock valves still. Just heavier springs and better retainers on a high milage non-rebuilt original worn out '69 351W 4V shortblock. NO NITROUS either. It was a strange grind cam. I still remember the specs somewhat because of how different it was. 255/258 at .050 lift and .528" lift on a 104 or 106 LSA and 108 Intake C/L. I don't know the rated duration at seat, only at .050 lift.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
My Falcon has Tubular Automotive 351W swap headers and they are only 1 1/2 not 1 5/8.The shock towers didn't need to be cut and the trans mount is home made under a shade tree.I think some of the Falcon parts places sell a ready made mount for a C4.

In full street trim with mufflers and street legal tires on pump gas,it has run 12.20's/110MPH at Pomona if it hooks up. That's with 9.5-1 compression,274XE cam,750 3310,3000 stall C4 and 4.11's. After the car was painted it slowed down for some reason,however.It weighs 3050 without me in it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 1/20/02 12:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hooker #6208 are 1 3/4" and might fit without mods...i haven't tried then but have used the Hedman 1 5/8" for 351W Mustangs on a Falcon. They'll fit if you modify one tube on the drivers side to clear the firewall. These fit clutch linkage as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would really like to know the answer to that question as well. I'm building a 392W for a customer and it's going into, shoe horning, a '63 Falcon. I've done a 347 into a '65 Sprint without a single problem but the engine compartment was larger than what the '63 is. Is there a good site/company that sells headers for the '63 project? Do the headers have to be modified regardless of what company has them? This is my first Windsor engine into something this tiny. Looking forward to hearing/reading something from somebody. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Any header that fits a 62 will or should fit a 63,64,65.......

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I think I would try Crites first. You may even want to cut the shock towers back. A regular 302 is snug, but a 351 is terrible to work on, to me anyway. If you cut the shock towers back it would give you some working room without having to go to a completely different suspension.
Crites Restoration - Parts List By Model

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I cut the shock towers back, what would you recommend on keeping the shock towers from caving in or would you just box them in? Is there any information out there that shows how they fit and wht to do with the shock towers? Would you have any pics of the set up? Thanks! My email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
5,017 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks so much for the information. It now looks like a pretty basic modification. Now I have a game plan for the '63 392W project. I do have to say I'm glad I joined this site. You guys are extremely helpful. I hope I can return the favor and share my knowledge with others here.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
No need to cut the shock towers to fit a 351W into an early Falcon but it would make things a little easier. Hedman #88660 long tube 1 5/8" swap headers for a 351W into an early Mustang fit but required some serious denting on the drivers side firewall to clear the #7 header tube. The shock towers haven't been trimmed.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Getting a little off topic but can you give us some specs on your engine and drivetrain combo Jim?..Car runs low 12s if I remember correctly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
No need to cut the shock towers to fit a 351W into an early Falcon but it would make things a little easier. Hedman #88660 long tube 1 5/8" swap headers for a 351W into an early Mustang fit but required some serious denting on the drivers side firewall to clear the #7 header tube. The shock towers haven't been trimmed.
Ok, wait a minute. If I decided to cut and box the shock towers, will I still have to dent the firewall for headers to clear? My question at this point is, is there a header part number that somebody knows about that doesn't requiring denting the firewall? I'd rather not dent the firewall up. This is a custom car that the customer wants me to build for him. Cruise ins and some track time. Nothing like my 68 Mustang which is a daily driven race car. It runs 11.21 @ 118, 10.68 @ 128 on the spray.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts