Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the block strength topic has been beat to death but has anyone ever really put those lifter valley girdles on a high horsepower 351 and not split the block or is everyone just sayin it doesnt work with out every using them??

· Registered
992 Posts
if they worked, me along with alot of other people would have used them 20 years ago
Noone I know that makes any power uses them. My 2cents

· Registered
2,617 Posts
I don't think anyone has really put them to the test, nor would any test really be that valid... grab any two blocks out of the junk yard, and one might survive 600hp at 7500rpm, the other might split at 450hp at 6000rpm... it's kinda impossible to test. Of course, this works to their advantage in regards to advertizing, because they can say "We installed these and made 800hp on 10 runs on a dyno", but do they ever say "when we took them off the block spit the next dyno run"... I've never seen that test, but that would probably be the most valid. Most people here don't think they are worth their weight in scrap iron because just looking at the construction and the means of attaching it to the block, there's not really any way it adds any significant strength compared to the amount of iron that is already holding the block together, and also the intake manifold would appear to have at least 3 times the strength benefit that the valley girdles would (three times as many bolts holding it, same location of support).

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the intake is a good point......no further questions..LOL

· Registered
5,525 Posts
how many 351w blocks have split?

How many have blown the main webs out?

Looks to me like someone should design something that strengthens the webbing--not just a valley girdle.

· Registered
5,093 Posts
Main cap walk seems to be more of a problem with a 351 than splitting the block. It still takes 7k+ rpm and 600hp plus for cap walk to cause a problem. If your caps are walking, time to step up to an aftermarket block.

As mentioned a valley girdle offers little to no help with strengthening the block. The intake manifold does the same thing.

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W NA, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 9/23/06 6:07pm ]</font>

· Registered
1 Posts
I don't think anyone has really put them to the test, nor would any test really be that valid... grab any two blocks out of the junk yard, and one might survive 600hp at 7500rpm, the other might split at 450hp at 6000rpm... it's kinda impossible to test. Of course, this works to their advantage in regards to advertizing, because they can say "We installed these and made 800hp on 10 runs on a dyno", but do they ever say "when we took them off the block spit the next dyno run"... I've never seen that test, but that would probably be the most valid. Most people here don't think they are worth their weight in scrap iron because just looking at the construction and the means of attaching it to the block, there's not really any way it adds any significant strength compared to the amount of iron that is already holding the block together, and also the intake manifold would appear to have at least 3 times the strength benefit that the valley girdles would (three times as many bolts holding it, same location of support).
Watch “ David Vizard “ on youtube he’s an 80 yr old top engine builder. He explains Ford blocks better than anyone i’ve ever seen. He actually did do the dyno tests. He claims the blocks split due to harmonics , He started using main cap support from DSS racing and a lifter valley support. They have been testing over 1000 hp for 10 years and not 1 block has cracked split or failed. i took his advice and i’m running both supports on my 408w

1 - 10 of 10 Posts