Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions. First, ford had the front sump oil pan on the 351 starting in 69 to about 74 or 75 right? Second, when building a 351w, someone told me that they changed the style of the front and rear main seals at some point. From a single to double peice. Which one is better to use? And from what era is it from?

Thanks,
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 66stang on 4/28/02 1:57pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Chris,

I believe the one piece rear main came along about 1982 and it may or may not be better, but they made the change for a reason!! Either neoprene type (one or two piece) is better and much easier to install than a rope seal (believe me....I know)!!!!

If you go with an older (stronger?) block and use the two piece neoprene be sure to put a "Ready Sleeve" on the crank seal journal!! It will guarantee no leaking.....I found all of this out the hard way!!!

Good Luck!!
Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If you are using the 2 piece rear main, make sure and stagger it in the block. At the parting line install the rear main so 1/4 in. is below the deck of the main cap surface. Do the same for the half that goes into the cap. This way the seal is not at the parting line of the cap and it is less likely to leak. I put just a THIN coat of Permatex on the ends of the seal where they join together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts