Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well kids, I'm back.

Our story left off with a quick fire up last night and 70 lbs of oil pressure after having inserted the missing lifter valley oil galley plug.

Today I put everything back together and fire it up to finish running in the cam and to let it get good and warm.

Running for about 5 minutes at 2500, 60 + lbs of pressure and *POOF* the pressure drops to 10 lbs. Blip the throttle, no change. Shut it down, curse a bit, and start thinking about some of the comments from my previous post and how that plug has been known to push out with a HV pump.

<sigh> I pull the top off again expecting to find the plug resting comfortably in the valley, but no - It's still in the hole. It is full of oil but it has not moved from where I put it.

I pull out my trusty Dewalt and spin up the pump. 10 lbs, no bubbles from the pool in the plug, no oil to rockers, a little bit beginning to ooze past the passenger side lifters. I clear the pool in the plug and spin it again expecting now to see oil ooze into the plug. Nope. Nada.

I do recall seeing two screw in plugs in the front of the block as well as another cup style there as well. Could this one be the culprit? (That is a real question.)

I had 20 lbs on the drill and 40 lbs on the motor without the upper galley plug, now I have 10 on the drill and twelve on the motor. This is getting to be a real pain in the arse. I have never had a build go this way.

So once again I turn to the Ford Collective for insights, clues, voodoo, whatever.

Thanks

Murff

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 8/6/06 1:33pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 8/6/06 1:33pm ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
It just about has to be a plug in the front of the block. There are three there and one is behind the distributor gear. Can you see a bunch of oil gushing there while spinning the pump with the primer? If so,that's the deal for sure. Your luck is really starting to stink.

Terry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Terry -

Your comment about luck is really hitting home about now.

To go along with the issues in my post, I started winding the front cover off this morning. One of the "cool" items I added to my build up was a set of ARP oil pan studs. Well, guess what? The front cover does not have enough wiggle room to clear the four studs that are screwed into it. I will need to drop the pan at least 1/2" in the front in order to clear.

Not a huge issue but I post this here as a side note and a caveat to anyone considering oil pan studs for their build. The studs make hanging a new gasket with the engine in the car a snap, as does our bolt in crossmember. But if you use the stud kit do not use them in the front cover. Use bolts. You will be much happier later.

The saga continues.

Murff

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think I'd lose that HV oil pump, unless your are running unusually loose main and rod bearing clearances. If you keep it, I'd tap those freeze plug style oil galleries for screw-in plugs.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I just got back from the parts store with a stock pump. Got the front cover off and the lower galley plug had pushed out. That's enough for me.

There's still a chance of getting this car on the track before the rainy season hits so I'm not going to do a full teardown yet. But the next bare block I do is going to have all screw in plugs, oil and water.

Back to the garage.

Murff

·
Registered
728 Posts
Murff, make sure you stake the plugs in this time. Take a center punch and hit the block right by the plug to put little mushroom bumps in the block, so that the plug can't come back out. I personally would use the HV pump, but that's just me.

http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=7794

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLstangin on 8/7/06 10:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I did peg the valley plug when I put it in, that's why I was so surprised when the pressure dropped. I have pegged both front plugs as well. And I had made the decision to go to a stock pump before Mountain made his good suggestion. HV pumps = screw in plugs from now on.

I guess all this has taught me some lessons and allowed me to find the flaws in my build and correct them before they became catastophic failures. As the ever-optomistic missus Murff says, 'It could have been worse'.

As such I have decided to slow my roll a bit and readjust my philosophy. If it works out that we can get in some hits before the season is out, cool. If not, spring is only eight months away.

Blue skies & green lights.

Murff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts