Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hi guys,

Arnoldtx- All things you have suggested have been carried out many times and definatley eliminated. I think i looking for something out of the ordinary here.
DanH- your insightful reply is as much as I would expect from you. Keep it up TOOL!!
from your statement on to much(answer to your problem) for this forum . I came up with that . why did I know you would'nt get it ? the point that is . very simple fix to the problem btw

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Lets try a different approach! I will ask you a question and you will give me the answer. If you give the right answer then we will got to the next question.

1)If the thermostat is installed correctly tell me how you know?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I think we would all agree that the engine needs to be running and at operating temp and cap removed to assure that all air is purged from the cooling system.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
arnoldtx , good idea. if op comes for help , must answer questions , with correct info. rizing temps , are not always the cooling system

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I have never had to have the engine hot to fill a radiator. I know that the thermostat is in correctly only after I have checked it or installed it myself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks for all your great advice. To answer your questions in one -all of the tests you 've suggested have been carried out. YES all. Firstly by me and then various mechanics , radiator shops and machinists. NOONE has come up with an answer. The themostat issue keeps arising and I can tell you I've run it with 2 new themostats, no thermostat and one thermostat with the centre cut out. None made any difference.

Latest info is block is out of the car and being checked by the machinist. The deck height has been heavily cut - at least 050. the machinist is going to check the block for cracks,and check the height and thickness of the deck and also cc the heads. he then suggests cutting down the pistons (if possible) to reduce the compression.

To be honest, it sounds like - clutching at straws to me, but no one seems to have a better option.

I'm thinking I may need to find another motor, but they are a bit thin on the ground over here.

Finally just to repeat - All tests you guys have suggested have been carried out and there are no problems with the cooling system, heads are reconded too. No 7 cylinder is getting hot and the whole system is overheating in about 10-15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
there is a few times that it not true , like no Tstat and bleed holes . for the most part when there is a overheating problem with a Tstat it's best to say its100% true
If you, DanH, would actually do the job correctly, then it dosent matter if there is a t-stat or not, bleed holes or what not, you would find that you DO NOT have to have the engine hot to properly fill the cooling system.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have never had an issue with filling coolant either hot or cold. Not even sure why that keeps being mentioned. I just fill, run and top up if needed.

I still don't get the whole "need to cut pistons to fix an overheating issue" thing. That just sounds like nonsense to me. I would run, not walk, away from that shop!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I think sonic testing sounds good, i ask the question.

The engine machinist I use Is extremly reputable. These guys have people fly them to all parts of the world and Australia for their expertise. I could not get better advice.

With regard to no 7 getting hot. The Radiator shop the did all the diagnosing with regard to the cooling system alerted me to no 7. I dont know what test they use to determine this but they where very specific. They probably have one of those digital infra-red thermometers that FE keeps banging on about! they ran a whole series of tests - pressure tests, coolant test, flow tests etc. Again they came highly recommended as being expert in hard to solve cooling issues - not just guys a soldering iron and access to cheap radiators! You can actually feel no 7 being far hot then the rest, if you touch it before the whole engine overheats.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I think the idea behind cutting the pistons down is to lower the compression ratio to suit the rediculously low deck height. Apparently to get new pistons to suit could be around $800.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
If you, DanH, would actually do the job correctly, then it dosent matter if there is a t-stat or not, bleed holes or what not, you would find that you DO NOT have to have the engine hot to properly fill the cooling system.
I'll keep doing it the wrong way. that part I don't understand is --- I never have a overheating issue ,when the cap is on , no need to take it off to top off. wrong way for me Thank You.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts