Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ok Time for another update!

I've had the block checked out by the machinists - its fine, no wait... its great one of the best they have seen in ages.
Now i've reconditioned the whole motor and dropped it back in the truck. You guessed it ... it still overheats. nothing has changes at all.
On the bright side it runs great!
Anyone got any more ideas??? ( now fully recond motor including new radiator and thermostat - still overheating!)

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Is the #7 piston OVERSIZED?

I have opened Factory VIRGIN engines and saw with my OWN EYES a +.040 piston in with all Standard stock originals.

I am going to hurt you with this one but you should pull the motor to a hoist or a stand, and remove ALL the block plugs and PRESSURE WASH the block until it run's CLEAR and Debris Free.

If it persists in overheating after that just ship it to me and I'll put it in my lawn mower...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I once had a 1970 200 six that overheated. The problem turned out to be a crack in the #5 exhaust port. The crack would open up when the engine was running and leak exhaust into the cooling system and cause the engine to overheat. The crack would close up when you shut the engine off. so no significant amount of coolant would leak out. I finally decided to take the head off, and when I removed the exhaust manifold I noticed some coolant in the #5 exhaust port. further investigating revealed the crack. Changed cylinder head. Problem solved.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks FE ,since I last posted a couple of weeks ago the motor has been out and fully reconditioned including sonic testing the block, new core plugs and a bloody good high pressure wash. I think I ruled out any mechanical (block ,heads etc) defect. I back to thinking something external

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hi guys,

Arnoldtx- All things you have suggested have been carried out many times and definatley eliminated. I think i looking for something out of the ordinary here.
DanH- your insightful reply is as much as I would expect from you. Keep it up TOOL!!
it realy is simple to find out why.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is it possible that the engine has a reverse rotation water pump on it, or that it needs one and the engine has a conventional one?
I believe that Ford used both types, and the reverse rotation ones were used around that time.
this is what my friend had go wrong check the rotation

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
Hey, I just read the entire thread and it is pretty exciting. Too bad OP did not post up the conclusion. I wish I had followed it in 2010 because I - and I alone - have correctly diagnosed the problem. I could have saved him a ton of money and trouble!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I just read the entire thread and it is pretty exciting. Too bad OP did not post up the conclusion. I wish I had followed it in 2010 because I - and I alone - have correctly diagnosed the problem. I could have saved him a ton of money and trouble!
Hi! what was the problem! how did you fix it? I have the same problem right now, same exact.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts