Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the edelbrock performer rpm air gap really work better than a normal edelbrock performer rpm? I'm building up a 351w, gonna pull up to around 6000rpms or so. I really like the way the air gap looks, but if it doesn't do that much for power, I just may pick up a used plain performer rpm...

Chris

·
Registered
749 Posts
money is tight = perf rpm

money no object = air gap

If your putting that 351w in your 66...no way with an air gap is it gonna fit under the stock hood

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is the rpm air gap taller than the plain rpm? Or are you just saying any rpm style intake wont fit under my hood. It doesn't really matter, because i've got another hood for my stang, but i'm still curious.

Chris

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've visually compared the two and although at first glance the Air Gap intake looks taller than the RPM Performer, I don't think it is. It just looks taller because the runners are so far above the manifold base. It does look like the runners on the Air Gap intake are slightly larger than they are on the RPM Performer though. They are similar at the cylinder head flange but seem to have a slight taper to them while the regular RPM Performers runners appear to have a constant port area throughout the length of the runners. Edelbrock probably figured that the Air Gap intake would be used on more serious combinations and by people who are looking for the last few HP, so sized the runners accordingly.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The Air Gap RPM does have larger ports and will have an extended RPM range compared to the regular RPM and is designed to work with 351W strokers up to the 6500 RPM range where as the regular RPM was designed for stock stroke 351Ws running up to 6500 RPMs. Since you're only planning on 6000 RPMs, I would use the regualr RPM intake.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
what is the differance between the air gap and the Vic Jr. on a 392 stroker would a tunnel ram 4x4 or a Vic Jr. be the best

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like the air gap is a Summit Racing marketing trick to me. How much is the oil really gonna heat up your mixture flowing at 6000 RPM? I don't buy it. My $.02

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The Air-Gap is a sweet manifold. The one we use on our parts truck has improved the power a lot.But because of living in an area where the temperature doesn't stay above 65 during the winter, the only problem we ran into was that as the weather gets colder, we were icing up the carb. So as a daily driver, we ended up having an insulation sheet stuffed into "The gap" just to trap heat.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2002-03-27 12:24, mustangzrule wrote:
Sounds like the air gap is a Summit Racing marketing trick to me. How much is the oil really gonna heat up your mixture flowing at 6000 RPM? I don't buy it. My $.02
Its not just that. The exhaust port cross over is non-existant on the air-gap. Not that you can't block this off on a normal rpm manifold, but that does help cool the charge too.. Or keep it from getting hot

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
<font color="blue">Ok guys, what about the air gap RPM vs. the vic. jr.? On say, a 400hp 351w and 500hp 392W stroker. With a 6800rpm limit?</font>

·
Registered
749 Posts
rpm or airgap would work on the 400 hp 351W.
One of the car rags built a junk yard 351W shortblock that made 400 hp and was using a perf rpm intake. Vic jr for a 6800 rpm 393W.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I dont use the exhaust cross over on my stang, the heads did not have a provision, by design, I did not want the extra heat in my intake. I have no driveability problems, it takes a few to warm up, but it is a non issue to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't say how the 351W Performer RPM AIR GAP manifold is against the RPM or Victor Jr, but it sure kicks a** compared to my old performer with a 2" open spacer. My prior best was a 13.14 with the old setup, with the AIR GAP(no spacer) I just ran a 12.69 @ 104.98 mph at Atco tonight
To boot that was the first run without any tuning!

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
That's a pretty healthy jump, what's the combo in your Cougar?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea, I was expecting maybe 1 or 2 tenths... I guess the Edelbrock tech was right about the performer intake starving my motor. Here are the car specs:

351W .030" over for 357ci
10.7:1 CR
Solid roller
232/242 @.050, 274/278 adv.
.534"/.528" lift, 112 LSA, installed 3 deg. adv.
A/R heads (later known as J302)
1.94" I, 1.60" E, port matched
Performer RPM AIR GAP intake
910cfm Holley Projection (FI)
electronic ign. w/CD 32 deg. full advance
1-5/8" hooker comp. headers
full exh. 2-1/4" w/dynomax super turbo's

C-4 automatic
10" TCI converter ~3,000 stall

9" rear w/3.70 & detroit locker

Tires
rear 15x8.5 rims w/235/60-15 Drag radials
front 15x7 rims w/215/65-15 eagle ST radial

front suspension
1-7/8 sway bar and koni shocks, sp
springs cut 1/2 coil

rear suspension
TMC rear springs w/poly bushings
1" lowering blocks
southside lift bars

all this in a '67 XR-7 with PS,PDB (all 4), tilt wheel and all...

Steve S.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
That's a very unique setup for sure and in a Cougar none the less. I bet people scratch their heads when you pop the hood. I see why it picked up so much ET from the intake swap. The Victor Jr with your setup would be the best and the difference between a Performer and Air Gap RPM intake is great. The RPM Air Gap has much larger runners and has a better entrance angle with more plunum volume compared to the small Performer. Vr Jr would be best with your heads, compression, solid roller, and Pro-Jection there's no doubt at least another .5 second can be trimmed from the ET with more tuning and a better intake like the Vr Jr. Sounds like a real neat car you got there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts