Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to to the forums and I came here looking for advice on a build I am helping my buddy with. I have some ford experience but most of my hot rod experience is with chevy so I am looking here for a little guidance.

Here is where we are at as of today... 1985 GT with stock 5.0HO swapping to a 351W... He had someone else (local mechanic) build up his 5.0 and is left very unsatisfied so he has decided to step up to the 351W. He does not want to stroke it so I plan to build a bullet proof lower end with a steel crank and I beam Rods, Hypereutectic Pistons yada yada... All the good stuff, you get the picture. I have not decided if I should go with Flat Tops or Slightly dished pistons. Dished will give me around 9.5-1 comp and Flats will give me right at 10-1 with 58cc heads so that really seems kinda trivial at this point and valve clearance is most important at this rate.

We already have the heads ~ AFR 185 58cc and I am going to build everything around these. I am thinking about Edelbrock Rollin' Thunder Hydraulic Roller Camshaft and Lifters .573''/.582'' Lift
299°/302° Adv. Duration 1500-6500 RPM Range and the Performer RPM Intake to top it off with a Holley 700 DP carb juiced up by an MSD Pro-Billet distributor with the Blaster SS coil for spark.

How does this sound so far?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I can't give much, but I think most would say use any other cam beside Edelbrock. Hopefully those knowledgeable in those things will provide good advice. What is the reason for not stroking it? If you're getting a new crank and rods, it would be a great time to take advantage of the opportunity. Who wouldn't want all the extra torque in a street car?

·
Registered
165 Posts
the more compression you can get out of an engine the better as long as its not boosted. go with flat tops. The keith black .150 dome is a really nice piston as well, you will have enough valve clearence with an aftermarket piston. Forged steel crank with hypereutectic pistons doesn't make much sense, and if you are going to spend money on a forged crank why not get a 408 kit? there is a very cheap 393 stroker than uses a 3.85 stroke, stock 351w rod, and a 302 factory forged piston that can be made to work pretty easily.

That edelbrock camshaft is so so. I have used comp cams 286HR before, .598"/230 deg at .050 on both sideson a 110. Is this a 5 speed car? AFR 185 heads flow big cfm. they are a higher rpm head. I would go with Comp Cams XR288RFHR cam, it is .555/.576 236/240 deg. that would make some nice power. could go one size bigger, or use an XFI stroker grind, they make serious hp as well.

Performer rpm intake is junk. We never use dual plane intakes unless it is a 100% street car that will never see the track or a dyno, I would go with a victor jr, ported. Few people realize how big an intake needs to be. No sense in having AFR heads with 290+ cfm intake flow, and choking them with an intake that only flows 230cfm, because now your heads only flow 230 due to the fact that they cant get the air they need due to the small intake size. If it is tuned properly, then you will make lots of power. This car has the potential to be a 11 second street setup with excellent driveability and street manners.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
the more compression you can get out of an engine the better as long as its not boosted. go with flat tops. The keith black .150 dome is a really nice piston as well, you will have enough valve clearence with an aftermarket piston. Forged steel crank with hypereutectic pistons doesn't make much sense, and if you are going to spend money on a forged crank why not get a 408 kit? there is a very cheap 393 stroker than uses a 3.85 stroke, stock 351w rod, and a 302 factory forged piston that can be made to work pretty easily.

That edelbrock camshaft is so so. I have used comp cams 286HR before, .598"/230 deg at .050 on both sideson a 110. Is this a 5 speed car? AFR 185 heads flow big cfm. they are a higher rpm head. I would go with Comp Cams XR288RFHR cam, it is .555/.576 236/240 deg. that would make some nice power. could go one size bigger, or use an XFI stroker grind, they make serious hp as well.

Performer rpm intake is junk. We never use dual plane intakes unless it is a 100% street car that will never see the track or a dyno, I would go with a victor jr, ported. Few people realize how big an intake needs to be. No sense in having AFR heads with 290+ cfm intake flow, and choking them with an intake that only flows 230cfm, because now your heads only flow 230 due to the fact that they cant get the air they need due to the small intake size. If it is tuned properly, then you will make lots of power. This car has the potential to be a 11 second street setup with excellent driveability and street manners.
KB pistons and a Vic Jr - that makes sense? Hyd. roller and Vic. Jr - that makes sense?
what makes sense is the OP's friends goal/wants for his engine plus how it will be used. That hasnt been said

·
Registered
165 Posts
i ran a race ported vic jr on my 306 on the street with a 236 deg solid roller and the comp 286hr, excellent street manners. made 347rwhp through the cats, full accessories at 6500rpm. 305 torque at 4600. it also has kb 116 pistons, 10.8:1 with my heads. drove it every day, ran 11 seconds at the track.

whats the issue?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was talking to Jays Machine shop in Everret about a 351w build and he was saying that the 351w is already has a bulletproof bottom end, no need to make it any stronger. That is debatable I'm sure but that is what he said! I will be running the single plane Victor Jr. also, but with old world product heads.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hello everyone I'm new to to the forums and I came here looking for advice on a build I am helping my buddy with. I have some ford experience but most of my hot rod experience is with chevy so I am looking here for a little guidance.

Here is where we are at as of today... 1985 GT with stock 5.0HO swapping to a 351W... He had someone else (local mechanic) build up his 5.0 and is left very unsatisfied so he has decided to step up to the 351W. He does not want to stroke it so I plan to build a bullet proof lower end with a steel crank and I beam Rods, Hypereutectic Pistons yada yada... All the good stuff, you get the picture. I have not decided if I should go with Flat Tops or Slightly dished pistons. Dished will give me around 9.5-1 comp and Flats will give me right at 10-1 with 58cc heads so that really seems kinda trivial at this point and valve clearance is most important at this rate.

We already have the heads ~ AFR 185 58cc and I am going to build everything around these. I am thinking about Edelbrock Rollin' Thunder Hydraulic Roller Camshaft and Lifters .573''/.582'' Lift
299°/302° Adv. Duration 1500-6500 RPM Range and the Performer RPM Intake to top it off with a Holley 700 DP carb juiced up by an MSD Pro-Billet distributor with the Blaster SS coil for spark.

How does this sound so far?
If you are going to use a steel crank you might as well stroke it to 408. If you are staying with the stock stroke then use the Factory crank and rods with a Forged piston and ARP rod bolts and main studs. I would use the AIR GAP intake and a Roller Hydraulic cam on a billet Core. If looking at a OTS cam then I would go with AFM cams( Anderson Ford Motorsport) Something like a n-61 would work well in a street car if staying with the stock stroke.or spend a few more dollars and go custom on the Cam from someone like ED Curtis at FTI.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
A guy I know Bill Hendrens from Hendrens racing engines was quoted SEVERAL times that there is no better intake on the market then the Vic Sr. Yes i said Senior. With those heads it would be good to go. I use the original Parker Funnel Web and love it, car drives around with no issues what so ever and it has hella flow, single plane and tall. Its all in the tune on how it all behaves and with a manual trans there would be no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts