Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall reading a post here that there were some good 351W truck rods to use that are stronger than the normal garden variety rods?Can anyone tell me what year truck motors had these rods?Also what is special about them that makes them stronger?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Truck rods "football" rods i know were used in the later roller motors.
I think it is the rod bolts that were a bit stronger.
Stock 351w rods are at best good for 6200.
I would suggest using ARP bolts and keeping it under 6200

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a set of these rods in my motor. Not sure what year, though, as it was already together. I CAN say that the biggest feature is that the rod bolt shoulders in the rods are spot-faced (a "circular" cut for the bolt-head seat), as opposed to broached (a "straight-across" cut) on the standard rods. A big improvement in strength as it leaves more meat in a high-stress area. Along with a decent set of bolts, they should be good to 6500 rpm's without a worry.

Kevin

·
Registered
214 Posts
I dug my "truck" rods out and the forging # is D6OE, so it just seems to be the standard forging with the spot face instead of broach.

There is also a D5UZ-6200-A rod recommemded as the heavy duty one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: QuicknDirty on 5/20/06 7:29am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My engine builder told me that the roundy-round guys turn the truck rods at 6500 for hours on end with no real problems. I/m using them in my 393.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts