Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 302 and 351W bellhousings interchange?? What about flywheels? Trying to put a 4 speed top loader behine a 351W, and the 302 parts are a lot more plentyful.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Will the 302 and 351W bellhousings interchange?? What about flywheels? Trying to put a 4 speed top loader behine a 351W, and the 302 parts are a lot more plentyful.
all 28oz. imbalance 302's bell, f/w will work for all 351W's

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
+1. Keep in-mind, there are different versions of each component, and while any 302 components will work on a 351W (except 1980+ 302/5.0L flywheels - wrong balance), the component types must match each other. The most basic factor is 157-tooth or 164-tooth flywheel. So long as the other pieces match that spec, it will all work together (block plate, bell housing, flywheel). Also, pre-'83 or '84 bells should usually match the Toploader bolt pattern. The safest option is to get everything from one car or truck.

David

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to tell the bellhousings apart, maybe a number? What i have found so far are just a bunch of bellhousing all togather. I suppose i can count the teeth on the flywheel, but not sure how to identify the bellhousings. Haven't found a set up still on the engine

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is there a way to tell the bellhousings apart, maybe a number? What i have found so far are just a bunch of bellhousing all togather. I suppose i can count the teeth on the flywheel, but not sure how to identify the bellhousings. Haven't found a set up still on the engine
The Small block fords all had the same bell. Flywheels will all have part numbers on them that you can punch into google and find out exactly what they are.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The auto salvage yards are telling me that there are two different ones for the 83 and older engines, one is larger that the other. One houses a 157 tooth flywheel, and the other houses a 164 tooth flywheel.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
With that 351 I would go with a 11" clutch and that will put you at the 164.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Poppy let's start from scratch. Exactly what parts are you needing? What year 351 are you using? What kind of clutch linkage are you gong to use? Mech or hydro? What size clutch do you plan to use?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Poppy let's start from scratch. Exactly what parts are you needing? What year 351 are you using? What kind of clutch linkage are you gong to use? Mech or hydro? What size clutch do you plan to use?
That would be good info. I have a used and good original 351W/Toploader setup with the block plate, C5TA bell, 164T flywheel, 11" clutch and pressure plate, pedal rod, Z-bar, pivot stud, fork, fork rod, return spring, and even the starter. Everything but the pedals and trans. That may be great for you or useless depending on what you're trying to do.

David

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need a bellhousing and flywheel, have a 1974 351W. Will be mech linkage, and don't really care about clutch size

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That would be good info. I have a used and good original 351W/Toploader setup with the block plate, C5TA bell, 164T flywheel, 11" clutch and pressure plate, pedal rod, Z-bar, pivot stud, fork, fork rod, return spring, and even the starter. Everything but the pedals and trans. That may be great for you or useless depending on what you're trying to do.

David
Thanks David, think i will take these numbers and go back to the salvage yards here. If i can't find it, may check bavk with you on your parts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more thought, i have the block plate that came off the automatic, is it the same as the one on a standard??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts