Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I am no major engine builder and need some advise. I am looking at using my car as a parts car in the future and can't help but wonder should I look for a 429 car or build up my 351w? My current 351w was recently rebuilt after a timing chain failure. how much $ am I going to have to put into it when compared to getting a car with a 429 already in it? I am looking at using the car just for weekends cruising and shows and maybe take it to the drag strip a few times and some stop light to stop light fun. I am no pro drag racer,obviously, but don't want to do something stupid like discount the 351 just because the 429 is larger. I also should note that I would be mounting a manual trans in the future. thank you for any advice. Maybe the best idea would be to buy a 429 or another351 car while I rebuild the 351 5 or 10 yrs down the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Okay guys I am no major engine builder and need some advise. I am looking at using my car as a parts car in the future and can't help but wonder should I look for a 429 car or build up my 351w? My current 351w was recently rebuilt after a timing chain failure. how much $ am I going to have to put into it when compared to getting a car with a 429 already in it? I am looking at using the car just for weekends cruising and shows and maybe take it to the drag strip a few times and some stop light to stop light fun. I am no pro drag racer,obviously, but don't want to do something stupid like discount the 351 just because the 429 is larger. I also should note that I would be mounting a manual trans in the future. thank you for any advice. Maybe the best idea would be to buy a 429 or another351 car while I rebuild the 351 5 or 10 yrs down the road.
There's a lot of variables that need to enter the equasion. What car are you working with? There's a big difference in a full size car that a big block will drop into vs. trying to shoehorn one into a smaller one. Extra cost goes along with that. Then there is the "wow" factor of a big block in a small body. Then there's the extra weight associated with the big block. Planning on running power steering? Extra weight makes steering harder in small cars. You can take the windsor block out to almost 427 cu in also....408 easy, 418 with a bit more grinding. I'm currently doing a 454 windsor based aftermarket block motor myself right now. You can find a big block fairly cheap on craigslist to start with. So there's lots of other things to take into account.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am working with a 70 ford galaxie, xl, or ltd so size isn't a problem. I am thinking of buying a car with a 429 so that that way I can decide in the future weather to rebuild the 351 I currently have while having the 429 or vica verca. Figue keep the car driving with one engine while I rebuild and put a manual trans with the other. I see from some threads that the 351 has more adtermarket parts and better rpm accel but I dont want to through anything more than $2 maybe $3000 into a 351 if for my application I could put the same into a 429 with better results. Like I had said I don't know how much machining and money I want to put into it or just doing some parts swaps in my garage when it will be a weekend cruiser that pulls on red lights and that gets to the drags probably a handful of times at best.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am working with a 70 ford galaxie, xl, or ltd so size isn't a problem. I am thinking of buying a car with a 429 so that that way I can decide in the future weather to rebuild the 351 I currently have while having the 429 or vica verca. Figue keep the car driving with one engine while I rebuild and put a manual trans with the other. I see from some threads that the 351 has more adtermarket parts and better rpm accel but I dont want to through anything more than $2 maybe $3000 into a 351 if for my application I could put the same into a 429 with better results. Like I had said I don't know how much machining and money I want to put into it or just doing some parts swaps in my garage when it will be a weekend cruiser that pulls on red lights and that gets to the drags probably a handful of times at best.
In that case I would go with the big block. There are plenty of them out there, and performance parts to get it running better won't brake the bank. Check Craigslist and see what's in your area. If you don't mind traveling some, check out craigspal, it's a free program you download off the net that allows you to search the whole usa, either all at once, state by state or city by city. Great program.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I agree, a big block is for you. Your $2-3,000 budget won't go far in trying to get big block power, and more importantly the torque, from a 351W if you're going to need to move that Galaxie with any authority. A good rebuild with a little higher compression piston, some head work, cam, intake, carb and headers and a 429, or better still a 460 will do the job just fine.

John

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I agree with the others..The big block has stump pulling torque right from the factory(assuming its an early engine 68-71)..The only difficult part will be mating up a manual trans...Other than a few trucks it is very rare for a 429/460 to have a manual trans so oem parts are hard to come by..You can go aftermarket but it will be expensive...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts