Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Any standard small block ford bell housing will work.
Actually it must be a 65' or newer version of the above because they use a 6 bolt mounting flange to the block. Earlier than 64 1/2 SBF will have 5 bolt mounting, which doesn't work with the 65+ 6 bolt mount designed blocks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Actually it must be a 65' or newer version of the above because they use a 6 bolt mounting flange to the block. Earlier than 64 1/2 SBF will have 5 bolt mounting, which doesn't work with the 65+ 6 bolt mount designed blocks.
Ok, fair point. But, how many 5 bolt blocks are still out there? I'd reckon it's pretty few. I was just guestimating that since he was asking about something as straightforward as SBF bellhousings, it was probably best not to muddy the issue.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Ok, fair point. But, how many 5 bolt blocks are still out there? I'd reckon it's pretty few. I was just guestimating that since he was asking about something as straightforward as SBF bellhousings, it was probably best not to muddy the issue.
Suggesting that any SBF bellhousing will work is poor advice and I fully stand by my valid clarification. Although not as common as the later 6 bolt versions, the 5 bolts bells are out there and they do come up for sale regularly enough that an un-knowledgeable buyer should be aware of them. That was the reason of his question. This may be a moot point to you but most of us would rather know what items to avoid when spending our hard earned money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.