Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one out there have this set up? What size flywheel did you use? What year did Ford use this set up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a toploader on my 289 but it was a 351 setup..flywheel, bellhousing, etc. The clutch is a 11" clutch with a, I think 160, tooth flywheel. If this helps let me know. If you need any of my stuff I'll give you a hell of a deal on it!

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a larger bellhousing, backing plate, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate than a 302/289 setup. Give me specifics that you want to know and I will hep you out any way I can.

Joe

·
Registered
192 Posts
Toploader works with both 157 teeth and 164 teeth fly wheel. Both, 351 and 289/301 use same bellhousing. Just match the flywheel and bellhousing. (...and the weights 28oz/50oz dampper/flywheel/rotating assembly...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using 157 set up but was wondering if a 164 was the correct set up from a mustang that came with a 351W and top loader 4 speed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Moose,
When I switched to a t-5 the late model bellhousing wouldn't fit over my flywheel! that's how I found out I had a 351 setup. Now is the toploaders bellhousing the same for a 351 and a 302/289?? I don't know but I do know that a set of tri-y headers wouldn't work with my older bellhousing.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
My 69 mach 1 was originally equipped with a 351W and a toploader 4 speed. The flywheel is a 164-tooth. I am currently running a 410 stroker with a toploader in my 68 cougar. I'm running a 164 tooth flywheel in it also.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
There is no difference between the flywheel for a 302 and 351W.
They use the same but there are two different sizes - one is 157 tooth and the other is 164. I use a 164 tooth and no, the small bellhousings will not fit over the ring gear. You need the larger bell or an after market scattershield.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
This is good stuff as I am getting ready to slam in a Doug Williams toploader behind my 351. I went with the 157 inch flywheel/Clutch/PP from Mcleod with a Lakewood statter. The only wierd thing I am doing is running a cable clutch to it - The way it was described to me by all the above manufactureres was choose your flywheel size and go from there.

Any suggestions on the pain in the butt scatter dial in?

Also, not intending on hooking up a speedo as yet, what are the best ways to plug the hole?

Thanks, gydyup

67 Mustang Coupe, 351 Hyd Roller/Performer Heads/Hooker long tubes/9" 4:56 Doug Williams axles - soon to be old school "stirring my own soup" wide ratio toploader

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
To plug up the hole on my car I just cut an end off of an old speedo cable and installed it with no gear and no cable obviously.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I have a 351W and Toploader in my 66. I am using the 157 tooth flywheel and standard small bellhousing. I looked for two years to find a larger bellhousing with no luck. I even got a lakewood scattershield that would not fit my 164 tooth flywheel. I just gave up on it and got a 157 tooth flywheel.
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I figured that was the easy thing, old cable end - didnt know if there was any special plugs etc. That will work nice though.

Thanks Gydyup

·
Registered
192 Posts
Decided to use the 157 teeth, due to lower weight, compared to 164 teeth.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Can anyone tell me if you had to modify or trim a lakewood scatter shield to clear the headers on a 67 Mustang, 351, Hooker long tubes.

I have the 157 flywheel, clutch/pres plate and bell mounted, but looking at what it takes to get the header on and off with the C4 I had in there - this looks tight.

There is about 3/4 inch more steel hanging off the starter flange than the C4/stock bell has - will it clear or do I get the smoke wrench out.

Also, never did a cable clutch before, how do you do the initial set up - firewall, thumb wheel all the way in or out, then set the fork etc?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts