Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother has decided to rebuild the 352 in his 67 pickup. we are both new at the fords, so we dont know much about them. these are the basics of the build. 9.5:1 comp, 4.10 gear, 4speed. we are trying to decide what cam to use with this combo. gas mileage isnt a big issue. we want the roughest idle possible without setting the idle speed really high. just so you know, he would like for the idle to be like the car in "gone in 60 seconds", maybe not just like that, but as close as possable. thankyou for your help, we greatly appriciate it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The Comp Cams Dual Energy cams seem to have some good grinds. Call them with more specifics and they will help put you on track. I have a 428 CJ/390 GT cam in my 352. It has a smooth idle and is tame enough to be driven daily. The Comp Cams will give you more of a "Lopey" idle and still be driveable. They have a tech line and also a web site. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
let me rephrase this. he would like to get the most cam for this engine, and still be practical. performance is the big item, but the lope is important too. this isn't going to be a hauller, just a weekend driven machine. the most work he will be doing would be haulling a few groceries. so let me try this again. what cam would deliver the best performance, and have the best lope? thanks again for all the help, i REALLY appriciate it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Comp does offer the Dual Energy cams for the FE. They are not listed in most catalogs but I was told by a tech. from Comp that they are available. I would still consider contacting them as they are very helpful and know what you want. They will not let you use too much cam. Try to use a dual pattern cam. They have longer lift and or duration on the exhaust lobe side. This seems to make the FE engines easier to live with (as well as nearly all factory cams for any engine).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think he should upgrade from a 352 to a 390. A lot more cubic inches and more of the performance you are looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with ant 123...go with a 390 for the extra cubes. You can get 390s in the junkyard all day long. Stick with the 390 heads and port the heads out as much as you can. Shave them down for extra compression. Put a solid cam in with 250 degrees of duration and a bunch of lift. Run big headers and the appropriate intake. Get a smaller converter for more stall speed. Take mass off of the truck anywhere you can think of. You will need to upgrade to adjustable rocker arms and better rocker rails. Run forged pistons and check for adequate valve clearance. After all this your truck will indeed be faster and have a more lopey Idle, but my mom's late model TA with quiet, smooth idle will still spank your keister. (hint: maybe this would be money better spent on a 460?)

·
Registered
81 Posts
The first principal of automotive performance...

"There is NO replacement for displacement!"

I wish I had just rebuilt a 390 instead of reviving the 302 in my cougar. Hindsight is 20/20

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only reason he is going with the 352 is because that is what he has and didnt want to spend more money than he has to. i tryed to reason, but...well you know how brothers are. he just thinks he wants a 352, his cash, his vehicle. thanks again for the help guys.

oh, btw its 4X2 1/2 ton

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nitrous on 1/8/02 12:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Don't mistake a 352 for an inadequate motor. Guys used to get lots of HP out of them when they came out in '59 or '60. I can remember a 60 galaxie 352 police interceptor that was built with a different cam, intake, headers, 11:1 compression that ran in the 12's. Not bad for a heavy car and old technology. Go with a cam with around 290 duration with a power band of something like 3000 - 6500 for a great sounding idle that isn't too wild. Had a 390 with a 292 duration, .575 lift cam that had a great sounding very lopey idle. It was a erson cam bought about 23 years ago and they may not carry that one anymore but may have something comparable. Go with 10:1 compression or slightly more with a cam like this because dynamic compression ratio will be lower due to lobe duration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what are the specs for the 425 horse 427 cam? sounds a bit wooly to me, but then again what i know about fords could be written in a grain of rice with 2 inch bold print. thanks again, you guys have been a big help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
with that cam in a 352 you will definitly have a big lope, but youll also have a poorly balanced package that will lack power. If you are going to use that big ass 427 cam into a 352 you would need something like a victor intake, heavily ported heads and a very un restrictive exhaust system

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
If he wants as much "lope" as possible, have him use a tight lobe seperation. This will make the engine lope, but be sure to use a free flowing exhaust, or the engine will not be very efficient. With a GOOD exhaust with headers and large tubes, go for 108, else go for 110-112.

Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts