Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased my first 64 galaxie. As i wait for the snow to melt so i can get it home, i have a question. When i went down to look at it i thought that it had a 2bbl carb. after getting the vin and looking up the numbers it shows the 352 with a 4bbl. did the 352's come with both carbs? it is completely possible that i looked it over to quickly and am wrong. the car is stock and I don't think anything has ever been changed out. Thanks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought that all the 352's came with the 4V in '64. Mine did anyway and it is stock.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought that all the 352's came with the 4V in '64. Mine did anyway and it is stock.
I believe you are right. Earlier 352's could have a 2 barrel but 64,65,66 had 4 barrels. The exception would be truck motors. I seem to remember trucks of that vintage with 352 - 2 barrel.

·
Registered
837 Posts
But keep in mind, almost all FE's look identical from the outside. It might not be the original engine or intake if it does have the 2bbl. No way to know anything for sure until you dig into it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My first 63 Galaxie 500 had a 352 with a 2bbl. My 64 has a 4 bbl on the 352.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I am hoping it is a 4bbl. it will make life a little easier when i try to fire it up.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
hant no easyer to fire a 4 barrel than it is a 2 barrel--

·
Super Moderator
21,632 Posts
True Rich, they all run on the front barrels til you stomp em. :)

Sometimes looking at a car we don't pay attention to things like carbs so it could very well be a 4bbl.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a good edelbrock to drop on. This will be easier than trying rebuild to old one. It has been sittng since late 80's.

·
Registered
217 Posts
IF it's a factory stock 4-bbl, it's the big Autolite...1.12" venturi...so rebuild it as long as it still has it's original booster venturis. The 1.12" carb has plenty of CFM for a stock to mildly built 352. Post the carb number when you get a chance. Even if it's the 2-bbl Autolite, there were quite a few different sizes all the way up to a rather big 1.33" venturi model used on some 390 engines.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
if its a 4 barrel-and orig to that engine - id be interested in buying it -=-

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've double-checked my 64 352ci ragtop, and mine indeed does have the two barrel, I look in my copy of "Motor's Auto Repair Manual 1969" and it lists the 1964 352 v8 as only having the 2 barrel..

PS: But the I look in the same book under 1964 "X engine code" and it is the 352 V8 with 4 barrel carb, and that is the only option for the 352 v8 of that year no where does it have a 2 barrel, it contradicts itself :S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts