Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 1961 mercury Monterey with a 352FE. Now the mercury forum that exists online is sadly nowhere close to being as popular as this one, so I apologize for not bringing a Ford to the table haha.
Anyways, I've come across a bit of a hiccup and I'm not sure if the fuel tank that I have on my Monterey is original. The gas cap that I currently have on it is a anti surge vented cap, but the lock is busted and so is the gasket so I wanted to get a new one. Issue is the cap that I got off rockauto doesn't even lock in. The bottom looks totally different and I can't find a replacement anywhere that looks like my original cap.

Replacement cap: 1961 MERCURY MONTEREY 5.8L 352cid V8 Fuel Tank Cap | RockAuto

Thanks, and I hope I can get to the bottom of this!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 convertable
986 Posts
the locking ones don't seal well, and offer really no security. anyone with a pen knife can open it in 1 second. get the origional type

·
Registered
63 convertable
986 Posts
napa sells one but you have to match it up. not listed for gal. but same part. i carried a spare in the glove box in case i left it at the pump. not expensive, just need a patient sales guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sadly if I wanted to get that one off ebay, I couldn't. It doesn't appear they ship to Canada. One of the drawbacks of living in the great white north....

Could this one fit? The inside of the gas cap seems totally different than anything listed on rockauto, or the one I currently have, but they state it should fit a '61 Monterey.

Honestly right now I don't really have a preference for locking or not, as long as it closes properly.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sadly if I wanted to get that one off ebay, I couldn't. It doesn't appear they ship to Canada. One of the drawbacks of living in the great white north....

Could this one fit? The inside of the gas cap seems totally different than anything listed on rockauto, or the one I currently have, but they state it should fit a '61 Monterey.

Honestly right now I don't really have a preference for locking or not, as long as it closes properly.
Looks good, at that price you could try it and not worry.

Good Luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
I did the gas cap dance with my 61 Ford. They take either one with deep or shallow tabs. Mine needed one with deep tabs and everyone I ordered had shallow ones. Finally saw a pic of one on epay for some off the wall 50's car that looked like it would work. It was cheap enough so I bought it and got lucky it worked. If you need one with the shallow tabs you can have one of mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the gas cap dance with my 61 Ford. They take either one with deep or shallow tabs. Mine needed one with deep tabs and everyone I ordered had shallow ones. Finally saw a pic of one on epay for some off the wall 50's car that looked like it would work. It was cheap enough so I bought it and got lucky it worked. If you need one with the shallow tabs you can have one of mine.
I'm afraid I might be having the same issue as you, the gas cap I bought was too shallow. I need to get one with the deeper tabs. By any chance do you have a photo of what your gas cap looks like?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts